jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

If you were to suddenly go blind from a freak accident - Could you still do your

1. ptosis profile image75
    ptosisposted 7 years ago

If you were to suddenly go blind from a freak accident - Could you still do your job that you...

are doing now? (with tech aids of course) such as PC attachments so can still type and voice text readers....

2. Pcunix profile image92
    Pcunixposted 7 years ago

I have severe astigmatism and have been told that I have a good chance of losing my eyesight in one or both eyes due to the stress.

If that happens, yes, I hope to be able to be able to do at least some of what I do.  I'll have to do less, and it will be harder, but I will deal with what I have to deal with as best I can.

Believe me, I think about this often.  It's a bit more than theoretical for me.

3. ggordie profile image55
    ggordieposted 7 years ago

If I'm not mistaken, as long as there are such means available it would be unlawful for them to fire you because of an accident or a disability. At least in the states with an Equal Opportunity law. If you do lose your job you can collect disability, sue the person responsible and make a decent living doing nothing.

4. Sky321 profile image77
    Sky321posted 7 years ago

I would have to find other employment. I do blood test on people. Although, I might be able to do it.  Although, I could probably still do it blind but I don't think people would be comfortable. LOL

5. ptosis profile image75
    ptosisposted 7 years ago

ggordie - correct -yes & no .  They have to REASONABLY accommodate you . You don't see firefighters or EMT's in wheelchairs. So if any outside work or a photographer then no - won't be able to sue - but you can get SSDI from your past work history. That's all that FICA $$ they been taking out of you paycheck since forever.

6. wychic profile image89
    wychicposted 7 years ago

I would still be able to do some of my job -- I could still write my articles and do transcriptions as long as I had people to proofread my work, post for me, find jobs where they could copy-paste my proposals, and do research and backlinking for me. Granted, this would probably mean cutting my paycheck in half in order to be able to pay for assistance, but at least I would still be able to contribute something to the household...and then someone else could benefit from my income too, which I guess is a good thing for them. Not all of us have the benefit of employers that are bound by federal law, I would have to come up with reasonable accommodation for myself smile.

Closed to reply