jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

At what age should you be able to expect your child to take a shower (and do the

1. angela_michelle profile image97
    angela_michelleposted 7 years ago

At what age should you be able to expect your child to take a shower (and do the whole routine)...

on their own?

2. wychic profile image90
    wychicposted 7 years ago

I'm not sure what the "average age" is, but my son has been taking his showers almost completely on his own since he was three years old. I say "almost completely" because I still have to turn the water on for him (he can turn it off just fine) and for a while had to "spot check" to make sure he'd cleaned properly. Whenever I found anything he hadn't done right, I would instruct him on how to do it rather than doing it for him, so he caught on pretty quickly. Obviously now (he's almost five) I still listen closely while he's in the shower to make sure he doesn't slip and fall or anything, but for the most part he does not need nor want my intervention.

3. melissa lg profile image54
    melissa lgposted 7 years ago

both my sons were about 5 when they started taking thier own showers,  Before that though i had them start washing thier own bodies in the tub while i supervised just so i knew they knew what to do

4. gradyp profile image59
    gradypposted 7 years ago

That's something that could be different for each child, but I know my oldest son has been bathing himself mostly for a year or two.  But we still check on him occasionally, because he does have a tendency not to fully rinse his hair at times.  I think we started working with him when he was 3 or 4, but still helped him until he was 5 or 6.