jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (5 posts)

Don't you think circumcision of a male newborn is genital mutilation?

1. ptosis profile image81
    ptosisposted 7 years ago

Don't you think circumcision of a male newborn is genital mutilation?

google 'botched circumcision' & 2 words: "galloping gangrene". It'll keep you up at night for weeks.

2. advisor4qb profile image78
    advisor4qbposted 7 years ago

I think it is done at such an early age because it must really hurt and they don't remember it, but it does say in the Bible to do it at 8 days old.  That is when my sons had it done as well.  It hurt me just seeing it!

3. Springboard profile image82
    Springboardposted 7 years ago

Not at all. That said, if I had the opportunity to choose, I would likely have chose to not be circumcised.

Not that I have anything against it. But I simply believe in leaving things as they are.

To be more specific on the question, so long as everything works...it's not mutilation. smile

4. ptosis profile image81
    ptosisposted 7 years ago

advisor4qb & Springboard : You both aced the question. Fantastic.  Yes it is 8 days before the cut - why? Because when brand new - the skin is still really tight and loosens up over time.

And that's why there are so many botched circumcisions - and they end up 'pointing askew' to the left or right. Scar tissue - etc. 

So folks! the Bible is correct wait 8 days! But Amercian Hospitals do it on the first day - and complications could be avoided if just wait.

1. ptosis profile image81
      ptosisposted 5 years agoin reply to this

German court ruling that circumcision of minors was harmful, and a  violation of a child's rights. In USA falls below 50% option. The medical case for circumcision is not strong enough to recommend routine circumcision.

working