jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Do you think it is possible to treat childhood depression without using medicati

1. julieh profile image57
    juliehposted 7 years ago

Do you think it is possible to treat childhood depression without using medication?

2. ultracutebot profile image77
    ultracutebotposted 7 years ago

Yes and No. It really depends on how severe the depression is and if it's accompanied by other disorders (i.e. obsessive compulsive disorder, bipolar disorder etc). There are many different types of therapeutic approaches that can be tried as well as holistic, natural remedies. Depression, in adults and children, should always be brought to the attention of a qualified doctor because self diagnosis &/or non-expert diagnosis could make the problem(s) worsen.

3. juiwei2000 profile image61
    juiwei2000posted 7 years ago

Yes, depression to my knowledge is psychology.  Using medication is really just taking the easy way out.

4. sammyfiction profile image61
    sammyfictionposted 7 years ago

I have zero qualifications here, but I'm pretty sure the answer would be yes. The depression occurs due to the childs life and how they perceive it, ergo, the world is against them, no one likes them, they believe that they have social issues etc.
    It would be difficult to detect though, especially if the child is good at hiding emotions and/or is an introvert.
    Medicine is almost never the only cure.

Thanks for your question! smile

5. harrybaguio@hotma profile image59
    harrybaguio@hotmaposted 7 years ago

Is it possible? Yes. The question you should be asking as a parent is what kind of SIDE EFFECT will your kid suffer.

You see.. the brain of a child is very undeveloped. You mess with it you might just damage it. Im not talking about fixable damage. Since, their brains and undeveloped, when you it is damaged the damage could stay with them forever.

So, if you ask me. What would i do for my kids depression? Have him play outside. Have him exercise. Exercise releases happy hormones, which your medications are mimicking.

working