What are your views and opinions on people with mental disorders,Such as bipolar

1. KristenLNewsome profile image56
    KristenLNewsomeposted 7 years ago

What are your views and opinions on people with mental disorders,Such as bipolar,split...

personality and Post Dramatic Stress Disorder?

2. cobrien profile image76
    cobrienposted 7 years ago

I am Bipolar. I have a Bipolar daughter and a schizophrenic son with autism. We suffer. We don't want to take medicine for the rest of our lives. We have to deal with guilt and the consequences of our behaviors before treatment, some of which are long lasting and/or life altering. At first I heard that "it was all in my head". It seems, though, that since mental health disorders are becoming so common that a lot of the stigma has disappeared.
    Now I hear "Did you take your meds today?" every time I pitch a fit.

3. angel Graham profile image57
    angel Grahamposted 6 years ago

As one with Post TRAUMATIC (Not Dramatic) Stress Disorder, DID and Borderline Personality Disorder, my view and opinion is going to be different from many others.  I deal with Depression on a daily basis. I have Panic and anxiety attacks. I find it near to impossible to leave my home due to Agoraphobia. I take medicine for the Depression and anxiety attacks.

My brother has been recently diagnosed with Bipolar.  He takes medicine. We both wish we did not have to. 

I have compassion for those who suffer mental illness and disorders. If you have lived with one, you know that there is in fact a stigma attached to having a mental illness/disorder. 

As Cobrien said, we suffer. We have guilt. Feeling of guilt for simply being ill. As ill as if it were Diabetes or Cancer. Something we had no control over, yet many people think we do.

Please don't trivialize Mental illness by posting something like Post Dramatic Stress Disorder. It may have been a typo and I'll give you the benefit of doubt that it was.  It just hurts to see it and to realize that some people really DO see it that way.

working