jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Why do physicians check vital signs in patients over their clothes?. I have rea

1. brakel2 profile image80
    brakel2posted 7 years ago

Why do physicians check vital signs  in patients over their clothes?. I have read in excellent...

medical websites that this procedure is poor medical practice. This includes checking heart, lungs and pulses in feet etc.,

2. Fenixfan profile image95
    Fenixfanposted 7 years ago

The only vital I have had checked over my clothes was my heartrate. Blood pressure must always be done on skin, otherwise it could be way off. If your doctor is doing that, I would switch quickly as he is showing no concern, but only trying too increase his traffic and patient per day ratio.

3. profile image57
    rieomposted 7 years ago

I worked as a medical assistant for many years.  I would take a manual blood pressure over clothes only when the top the patient was wearing was thin enough.  This does not make a difference in the blood pressure reading obtained.  However, if they were wearing a thick sweater, than that could affect the blood pressure reading.

4. Dubuquedogtrainer profile image58
    Dubuquedogtrainerposted 6 years ago

For most purposes this is sufficient. As a registered nurse when I needed to listen careful to someone's heart sounds versus just counting their pulse rate I would listen directly over the skin. As someone already remarked, checking blood pressure over clothing is optional, depending on how thick the clothing is; if the sleeve of a shirt would be constricting, this affecting the blood pressure reading, it is better to leave the shirt sleeve down.

working