jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

How do I get my son to go to sleep on his own?

1. Lady_a7x profile image58
    Lady_a7xposted 7 years ago

How do I get my son to go to sleep on his own?

So lately, about a month now, Draven has not been able to go to sleep in his room without me being there with him. He will fall asleep holding my hand. I know for a fact that when he is at his dad's they go to sleep at the same time, and share a room. But they don't sleep in the same bed.
    I don't know what to do about this.
    When we are at his grandma's, he goes to sleep fine on his own. But here, if I tell him to go to sleep, he will scream and cry.

2. JillKostow profile image87
    JillKostowposted 7 years ago

I have learned from my experiences with my 4 that sometimes you just have to let them cry.  It is hard but it works.  I had never allowed my kids to sleep in my bed with me or in my room when they were little.  If they were really sick I would sleep downstair with them.  So I never had a problem with them wanting me to sleep with them.  My fiance use to sleep on his son's floor on a flip-flop chair every night from when his son was 2 until they moved in with us when he was 5.  This was hard because he was expected to sleep in his own bed, my son who was 2 at the time shared the room with him.  After about a week of him crying here or there and coming into our room a few times a night and us guiding him back to bed he started to go to sleep just fine.
    Now I am not saying to let him scream and cry for hours but a little bit of crying won't hurt.  Is he scared of something?  My daughter was afraid of monsters.  I got a bottle of body spray and told her it was special monster spray, I would spray it under the bed, in the closet, etc.  She slept just fine then because with the spray it meant no monsters could come in her room.
    I takes time so be patient.  (Sometimes I think it is harder on us parents then it is on the kids)

3. Jan Fowler profile image61
    Jan Fowlerposted 7 years ago

You don't say how old your child is, however, I bought a wonderful stuffed animal (unicorn, pink and sparkly) for her. I held it my arms in front of her and hugged it and kissed it. Then I told her it was full of all my love and if she woke up and needed me all she had to do was squeeze the animal and all that love would go into her so she could go back to sleep. And to try her very best to be calm and not disturb anyone else. Good luck, sleep issues are hard to deal with as a parent.

4. ghzaal profile image59
    ghzaalposted 7 years ago

working