Chronic insomnia - anyone else not getting enough sleep??

Jump to Last Post 1-22 of 22 discussions (46 posts)
  1. billabongbob profile image68
    billabongbobposted 12 years ago

I have been an insomniac all of my life.  Even as a young child I remember laying in bed night after night, trying to occupy my mind to starve off the crazies.

It has stayed with me my whole life and I will probably have to deal with it forever.  I'm lucky if I sleep 3 hours a night, if I sleep at all.  I get an average of about 20-25 hours sleep in a week, sometimes a little more, sometimes less.

Over the years I'v developed strategies to deal with the problems that sleep deprivation cause, but it is still really hard to deal with sometimes.

Is there anyone else on HUB that suffers from sleep problems?  How do you cope with it?  How does it affect you and those around you?

1. Daffy Duck profile image60
      Daffy Duckposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I don't have it, but I do have ideas on how to fall asleep a little faster.

Don't eat 2 hours before you go to bed.

Drink a glass of warm milk with a little nutmeg.

Melatonin can help.  It's a vitamin that helps enduce sleep, but it's not really powerful..

lay still on your back for 15-20 minutes in bed.

take deep breaths.

I hope this helps.

billabongbobposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for your helpful suggestions smile.

I've tried many, many things over the years to try and aid sleeping, but with very little success.  I've simply learnt to live with it and I now see it as an advantage.  I get more hours in a week that most people lol,  To do a lot of the things that's it's usually hard to find the time to do. So I can't really complain.

2. Stacie L profile image85
      Stacie Lposted 12 years agoin reply to this

anxiety and depression may have a hand in this...and other things like caffeine in beverages and food in the afternoon,medications,supplements..
      if you can find a naturopathic doctor,go for some consultation

I have seen a doctor about insomnia many times over my life, there is no medical reason why I can't sleep.

I've cut out caffeine in all forms, with no good results, just felt more tired. I've tried removing or adding other certain foods to my diet too, which didn't make any difference to my sleeping patterns.

Depression and anxiety do indeed tend to cause insomnia. There have been times in my life when these have been contributing factors. I am fortunate enough to not suffer from these problems often, I am in fact very happy recently. But I still don't sleep more than a few hours a night. At least I am sleeping most nights atm, even if it is only for an hour or so. There are times when I only sleep 2 or 3 nights a week, that can be a real struggle if it continues for any length of tell you lol.

I learn to live with it smile

1. profile image49
          slinkimalinkiposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hi, I understand exactely how you feel. I have the same problem and have done since I was a child. I am now retired. Like you I have tried to devise stategies around it. I would say I sleep the same amount as you 25 hours a week. It has been so disabling I feel it has ruined my life. Whilst you would never wish this problem on anyone it can be reassuring to know that you are not alone.

3. MercyGrace profile image61
      MercyGraceposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I've been the same way. I started around 12 years old. Over 30 years later, I have tried everything but my mind is just too revved up. I'll start to fall asleep and suddenly I'm wide awake.
      The best relief I have had was with teas. Anything prescribed has helped at first but a tolerance builds quickly. I think this is so horrible, don't you feel like you're sleepwalking through your life?

Tolerance is a problem with prescription medication, meaning that it is fairly useless for a chronic problem.

Have you tried hypnosis?  It hasn't combated my insomnia problems, but allows me to get to be almost as good as asleep, which is better than nothing.

4. profile image0
      DoorMattnomoreposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I have had sleep problems for as long as I can remember. I try to stay away from caffeine. Alcohol is bad too. When I have a bad night or two,(or ten) no matter how much I want a nap, if I stay up I can usaly get back into a routine soon. Naps make it way worse for me.

5. stephwazere profile image60
      stephwazereposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I've suffered it for around 5/6 years but I use it to my advantage I just wrote about it actually smile

6. PiaC profile image61
      PiaCposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Have you ever tried acupuncture? (it does not hurt, I promise. I'm terrified of needles and I go every week. It's great for general health as well as insomnia.

I have tried acupuncture, for insomnia and other things. It has been very helpful in many ways, except for the insomnia problem. Guess I'm stuck with it.

Thanks for taking the time to comment.

1. PiaC profile image61
          PiaCposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Don't be disheartened! I'm sure you'll beat it someday. Exercise, no coffee at all, acupuncture and mediation - all of these help!

2. paradigmsearch profile image61
    paradigmsearchposted 12 years ago

Stay away from the garlic? smile

3. princess g profile image60
    princess gposted 12 years ago

Yes I have insomnia, but only when I'm manic. I have been for about a month now. Little to no sleep most nights. Up late, up early. Every day. It's getting old.

4. MercyGrace profile image61
    MercyGraceposted 12 years ago

I haven't tried hypnosis. Thank you for the suggestion.
    Just tried something new, a natural remedy from Native Medicines and I fell asleep within 30 minutes. No grogginess when I awoke. I'll use this until it no longer works but might have to resort to hypnosis at that point.

5. imatellmuva profile image76
    imatellmuvaposted 12 years ago

I too suffer from insomnia, and it's been the worst ever since I lost my job 10 months ago. I know that it's partially due to wondering if I'll find steady employment again, but the remainder of it I've suffered for years.

I never took a slepp aid, so I just bide my time with it. When I did work, I was in a slump by 2:00, and nothing seemed to shake it. I spoke with my doctor about it, and he suggested that I eliminate caffeine from my diet. I read that your bedroom should be comforting, and relaxing. That you should not have a tv, laptop, or anything distracting in the room.

It was mentioned in this thread how anxiety and depression can play a significant role in sleep deprivation. Some people suffer from depression and anxiety, even in a mild form, without realizing that it's a contributing factor to their inability to have a restful, sound and lasting sleep. I am typing this reply at 11:51 pm, eastern time, and will likely be up to the wee hours of the morning. I need to turn things around by not going to sleep in the am, hoping that I'll go to bed at a decent hour. I wish you the best, and hope that you too can turn this around.

6. sassyk73 profile image70
    sassyk73posted 12 years ago

I honestly feel your pain. I suffer from insomnia. I have been hospitalized because of sleep deprivation. I have to take 2 different types of sleep medications in order to sleep. I felt so sorry for my husband because I couldn't be still in the bed. I would walk around. It was horrible. It would make really irritable and cranky.

I have tried everything from A to Z but prescribed sleeping medications are the only thing that works for me.

I wish you well and hope that you find relief soon.

7. classicalgeek profile image81
    classicalgeekposted 12 years ago

I have had insomnia for many years, brought on by PTSD and chronic pain. I've finally found some things that work, but to be honest my sleep schedule is so messed up I had to go the self-employment route as I can't be functional 9-5. I did write a hub a while back with some suggestions.

8. paradigmsearch profile image61
    paradigmsearchposted 12 years ago

This has recently worked for me...

Going to bed and worrying about if I can sleep inevitably results in failure.

Going to bed and not giving a damn inevitably results in no problem.

I gave up worrying years ago.  It used to make me restless and I would often clock watch.

Now I'm just glad to get horizontal for a few hours, even if I don't sleep lol.  If I do sleep, it's a bonus.

9. teacherjoe52 profile image61
    teacherjoe52posted 12 years ago

Many of my friends and family suffered insominia as well until I got them to try taking calcium, magnesium tablets before bed. Another method I use when travelling is using herbal essence oils or either rose oil or lavender oil. put three drops on your pillow b efore bed. You will enjoy a deep peaceful sleep.
    Another method is listening to relaxing instumental music like Buddhist music or Celtic harp.
    I always like to talk with God before going to sleep. He is thanked for all the good things He has blessed me with that day and all my cares as laid at His feet. Great way to go to sleep feelinh happy and loved.

10. mega1 profile image80
    mega1posted 12 years ago

Lack of sleep can really affect your entire life - relationships, how you function at work - emotional reactions to small things and more.  So even if you think its ok and you look forward to getting more done, you may be fooling yourself a little.  The fact that you are seeking info means that you do feel something is wrong.  I have had bad insomnia and read everything I could find about it.  I know mine goes hand in hand with other emotional problems (read: mental! big_smile)  so I had to do something about it in order to be able to work and communicate logically.  What I found works best is meditation combined with herbal remedies (mild ones like a tincture of valerian and licorice)  and we used to make "sleep pillows" little pillows filled with herbs (the usual sedative herbs like camomile and rose buds and valerian root)  The valerian has a strong smell so you will have to get used to it or use only a little in the pillow.  But truly the very best solution is to meditate and train your mind to sleep at regular times.  A routine is important.  Eliminating everything like books and tv and food from your bedroom - only use your bed and bedroom for sleeping - when you're in your bed your body and mind will know it is time for sleep not other activities that would keep you awake.  I know these things work and the mind training also works for other life problems, changes, emotional highs and lows.  You can find lots of advice about the best ways to meditate.  I wish you peaceful sleep and good luck with it.  (Also, good sleeping patterns will help you look younger, your skin will look clearer and you will have more energy!)

11. imatellmuva profile image76
    imatellmuvaposted 12 years ago

gr82bme wrote a hub about melatonin. She's using it and explains in her hub how she has had positive results. I'm going to give melatonin a try!

1. paradigmsearch profile image61
      paradigmsearchposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I wrote a melatonin hub as well. lol

I'm going to give melatonin a try too. I've read some interesting things about it, so deem it worth a try. There seems to be a fair bit of information about it on the internet alone.

Please feel free to post a reply with any useful links that you may have, I'm sure the information would be appreciated by many.

So many people suffer from insomnia and try every method and remedy possible, often without great results. Some things work for some people, but not for others. It's case of finding some thing that works for 'you'.

I'm going to try Melatonin, I'll come back and post any findings.

2. billabongbob profile image68

Well done paradigmsearch big_smile big_smile

I'll go read your hub too wink

12. profile image0
    Home Girlposted 12 years ago

In order NOT to have sleeping problems, I have to be in bed at the same time every day! Usually I have to get up at 7:30am - no problem. If I go to bed at 11pm, at 7:30am I do not need alarm, I just wake up and ready to go. But, on weekends I have another job, for that I have to get up at 5am! There my problem begins. I have to go to bed earlier on Friday night, instead I cannot do that, and forcing myself to sleep brings insomnia and inability to open my eyes at 5am! After crazy 2 days of sleep deprivation Monday comes, and then on Monday I wake up at 5am... no problem!
    I think insomnia is a bad thing. Our body sends us some warning signals and we'd better listen to them. http://www.pic4ever.com/images/snapoutofit.gif

13. lovelypaper profile image56
    lovelypaperposted 12 years ago

I've had bouts of insomnia on and off for years but now I take just one melatonin about an hour before I go to bed and it helps. I try to give myself a break from it and then go back on it after a week or so.

14. justanie profile image61
    justanieposted 12 years ago

I think it is just a stage.especially when you are used to staying up late.It's about getting into a new routine and sticking to it.

15. Greek One profile image62
    Greek Oneposted 12 years ago

I really need some sleep!  I was lying in bed all last night but I couldn't manage to pass out.  Today I zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Oh poor Greek One, your body clock seems to be messed up. It happens sometimes. If you've slept today, you might find it difficult to so to sleep again tonight sad

Do you suffer from lack of sleep regularly or is it a once in a while thing? Have you tried any 'methods' to help with getting to sleep?

I hope you get your body clock fixed and manage to get enough rest.

1. Greek One profile image62
        Greek Oneposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'm just worn down and married

So was I. But I will be divorced by next Monday 26th Sept big_smile big_smile Whoop big_smile big_smile.

Now my sleeplessness is spent mostly productively, as I no longer have a significant other to take into consideration. Quite liberating, don't know why I didn't do it years ago tongue.

Now if I can't sleep, I don't have to listen to someone else snoring their head off lol. Or stay veeeeery quiet in case I wake them up, even if it's the click click click of the keyboard as I type lol.

Your wife may not like the idea of a divorce just so you can sleep lol. I don't recommend it unless a marriage is over, then it's go for gold wink.

When you have trouble sleeping, you can always use the time to write, which I'm sure you do anyway. smile

16. Donnacha C profile image71
    Donnacha Cposted 12 years ago

wow, I`m rather the opposite! I suffer from Chronic fatigue, and can sleep anytime anywhere, and generally need min of 9 hours sleep evey night!

I had CFS for several years, always tired, but not able to sleep much. It was a nightmare, I couldn't hardly do anything.

I've recovered from the CFS syndrome now, but I still suffer from insomnia.

Thank you for commenting wink

17. Stacie L profile image85
    Stacie Lposted 12 years ago

sleeping problems happen to me every full moon week,which happens to be this week...yawn..
    i have to take melatonin or  sleeping pill.
    if you are tired all the time you may be iodine deficient..a sluggish thyroid perhaps.
    Get a check up with blood work.

18. seamist profile image59
    seamistposted 12 years ago

Hi Billabongbob

I don't know how you surive on that little amount of sleep. Yes, I have a sleep deficit. I have seven herniated discs in my back. Although I take strong pain pills, and they help during the day, my back hurts the most at night. After two to three hours of sleep, the back pain starts increasing so much I can't sleep anymore. I can no longer sleep in a regular bed because it hurts so much so I have to sleep in a recliner. I wrote a hub on sleep tips a little while back. Maybe that will help. All I know is in my case, I will not have another surgery so I am exploring spiritual healing, but I think in most cases, you have to be a determined, faith-filled person for it to work.

19. profile image0
    Wentworth35posted 12 years ago

I had chronic insomnia for ten years.  I would get at the most two hours a night, but often went two or three nights in a row without any sleep.  How I continued to work during this time, I've no idea.  I tried every herbal product, every over-the-counter sleeping pill, every prescribed sleeping pill, several antidepressants.  Nothing worked.  However, in September last year, my doctor prescribed me an antidepressant called Seroquel.  I had tried everything else, and didn't give it much hope.  A year later, I can look back on a whole year of blissful sleep.  I have probably had only a handful of poor nights in a year, so I cannot recommend this tablet highly enough.  I had given up all hope.

I'm glad that you've found a solution Wentworth35. I empathise with the difficulties sleep deprivation can cause.

I have been prescribed anti-depressants to help me sleep in the past, many different sorts, but to no avail sad.

Have you had any side-effects with the Seroquel? I've had big problems with these in the past and am in no rush to repeat any of it. However, if there is one out there that could actually benefit me, I'm willing to consider it. Any information on personal experience you can give me is much appreciated wink. Cheers wink

1. profile image49
        slinkimalinkiposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I had prothiaden. tired and tested drug. having a bad phase right now so goint to my doctor to get some more.

20. teacherjoe52 profile image61
    teacherjoe52posted 12 years ago

Try going to the herbal store and buying herbal essence oils of rose and lavender oils. Put three drops on your pillow before bed. it has worked wonderfully for everone I have suggested it to as well as myself
    Another great help is to take calcium magnesium tablets before bed.Again it has worked with everone I have suggested it for

Have a great nights sleep

21. profile image52
    salazarlposted 12 years ago

Sleep is the first article of health. Without sleep your body does not repair and restore itself.  Sometimes drugs need to be used. However natural remedies sometimes work.  Here is what I use:

1. 1 mg melatonin 1 hour before bed on an empty stomach
    2. 200mg of 5HTP 1 hour before bedtime on an empty stomach
    3. Rub both feet top to bottom thoroughly.  This signals the brain it is time to relax.
    4. Deep breathing exercises while lying on your back. Breathe in deeply ( through nostrils )and release slowly through closed teeth till your diaphram is completely empty. Do this at least 4 times.

This works well for me.  Hope this helps someone

1. MelissaBarrett profile image60
      MelissaBarrettposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Just a quick point... 1mg of melatonin is likely not doing you any good at all, except as a placebo.  Therapeutic dose for a child is 3-5mg.

1. LookingForWalden profile image61
        LookingForWaldenposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Melatonin made my appendix burst. True story. It hurt.

22. Sottway profile image67
    Sottwayposted 12 years ago

I hate it when I just get out of my normal routine! God bless you and your coping strategies it must be hard...

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)