i think might b suffering from bacterial vaginosis.will this gel-metronidazole v

1. profile image44
    pattyshakesposted 7 years ago

i think might b suffering from bacterial vaginosis.will this gel-metronidazole vaginal gel work?

2. Moon Willow Lake profile image75
    Moon Willow Lakeposted 7 years ago

It should, but make sure to take the full recommended treatment and do not stop it earlier than what the label says even if all of your symptoms subside before then. I do believe that is an anti-biotic so finishing the full course of the treatment is especially important as you would teach the microbes how to resist it if you stop before the full treatment is given.

Also, if it is an antibiotic (and I think it is), then it might cause a yeast infection afterwards. Those, too, are easily treated by following the full course of that treatment.

I personally think the risk of an easily treatable yeast infection is better than not treating this at all.

No matter what, talk to your doctor/ medical personnel and listen to their recommendations. My answer here is informational only and is not meant to replace medical expertise.

3. Docmo profile image92
    Docmoposted 7 years ago

Bacterial vaginosis can be treated by antibiotics in oral  or local vaginal gel formulations.   I do think you need to make sure you definitely have the said problems as some symptoms may be similar to other vaginal problems: itchiness, irritability, discharge can all be same for yeast infections like candida.  Bacterial vaginosis can result in a 'fishy' odour strong after intercourse. Much better to confirm with a swab taken. If confirmed clindamycin or metronidazole gel works. As the organisms are anaerobic variety they need specific antibiotics that work on them like these two. I strongly advice consulting and getting the infection identified correctly. Hope this helps!