jump to last post 1-11 of 11 discussions (11 posts)

Why do men have nipples even if we can't breastfeed?

1. jpcmc profile image88
    jpcmcposted 7 years ago

Why do men have nipples even if we can't breastfeed?

2. ptosis profile image75
    ptosisposted 7 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/4879477_f260.jpg

Men CAN breastfeed - it's only the Testosterone that stifles giving milk.

3. TheSloneGal profile image60
    TheSloneGalposted 7 years ago

At one time it was men that fed the babies so that is what I read a long time ago then they started not doing it so much so they began to lose the ability to produce milk I have also heard that if a mans nipples are sucked on enough he will begin to produce small amounts of milk i have not a clue never want to find that one out either just what i read

4. kiaraxxwriterxx profile image54
    kiaraxxwriterxxposted 7 years ago

Lol, hard question, good luck with your answers. (:

5. djsm2011 profile image56
    djsm2011posted 7 years ago

TheSloneGal & ptosis are both correct.  Good answers without going into so much detail.

6. profile image46
    womanthatwritesposted 7 years ago

All mammals male or female have nipples.  But for the most part, the males of the different mammal species, while they can produce a sort of gluey substance lack the anatomy to actually produce milk for a baby. Just having the show of nipples alone is not enough.  In fact the female and male anatomy in that area are completely different. Men simply do not have the glands or the proper constitution to produce milk.  I believe that nipples are a mammal feature, like hair, warm blood and other characteristics that define mammals.  I mean, fish certainly don't have them, neither do chickens nor insects. nipples are just another definitive feature of mammals.  Also, I believe that nipples on men are more for protection for the male, they are sensitive in an area where things need to be sensitive considering the important organs that are located there.  Men's nipples are not for producing milk but they are there as sensitive parts of the skin that slightly protrude from the rest of the skin in that area.

7. profile image48
    lili 3344posted 6 years ago

I am a believer and wouldn't question about God's creation...  smile..I just pray he blesses both nipples.

8. jacobsterling profile image53
    jacobsterlingposted 6 years ago

search this word in wikipedia "Male lactation" this is my answer hahaha...

9. flowmeter profile image60
    flowmeterposted 6 years ago

They are an erogenous zone and have other benefits that probably can't be mentioned here

10. Levertis Steele profile image84
    Levertis Steeleposted 6 years ago

The male nipples were not designed to breastfeed. They are members of his body just as hair, appendix, toes, or any other part that may not serve the greatest of purposes. If he did not have them, he would feel lacking.

11. DadKnowsbest profile image81
    DadKnowsbestposted 13 months ago

Male and female embryos develop identically in early stages and the formations of nipples happens early in the formation process, before the gender specific process takes place.

working