2 days old, breast feeding for over 4 hours?!?!

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (29 posts)
  1. kirstenblog profile image78
    kirstenblogposted 11 years ago

Hi guys, my little boy has finally arrived, born 4:40 am sept 11th. They discharged us from hospital yesterday. We did have some troubles with feeding at first, poor little guy found it hard to latch on and we only had a few good feeds in hospital but they didn't think it was an issue. Anyway, we get home and have a nice feed before I went to bed (hubs stayed up with him for a while after). Early in the morning 3am ish we start our last feed, it lasts for more like 5hours or more but with him and me falling asleep from time to time probably more like 4 hours of 'proper' feeding I am guessing. I do have the health visitor coming round today at some point (not sure when since she isn't coming from 'my' hospital but from the one in my area) and I will be able to ask her then but in the mean time, my nipples are pretty much too sore for more feeds and I am just letting him suck my finger to keep him from fussing since daddy needs sleep (he let me sleep as long as he could, until feed time).

Do you guys know about this stuff? Why so much feeding? Any ideas?

I really don't know if letting him suck my finger is OK so I can have a break....

hmm

1. IzzyM profile image87
      IzzyMposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hey Kirsten, I breastfed all six of mine, including a set of twins so hope I can help:)

For a start, 4 hours is too long. You do end up with sore nipples, especially at the start if they feed too long.

Your milk won't be through at day 2. All baby is getting is colostrum, and in tiny amounts.

He is probably comfort sucking.

There are creams you can get to soothe your nipples, or your health visitor can bring round a sun-lamp that will quickly heal cracked or broken skin on the nipples.

Once baby settles down to a routine, the chances are you will not suffer again from such sore nipples, but it is horrible at the time.

I'm with prettydarkhorse, buy some formula milk and give baby a little if he still seems hungry after 20 - 30 mins of so feeding.

The health visitor will advise strongly against this, but it is not her having to sit up for hours with a fractious baby

The risk with giving formula milk is that the more formula milk you give, the less milk you will produce. This is true but you can use a breast-pump to increase your own milk production.

Actually, just feeding baby little and often increases milk supply, but when your milk comes through, you produce too much at first anyway.

Expect to have a soaking front top anytime you hear a baby cry while at the shops! (Use breast pads to stop this).

If baby is fed and dry, it doesn't do him any harm to cry for a bit. You cannot possibly hold him close all night long, and he needs to learn that.

If he keeps it up, consider getting a dummy (pacifier). I know the movement is against them, but none of my kids grew up with buck teeth!

And a huge congratulations on his safe arrival from me smile

1. WryLilt profile image88
        WryLiltposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Wow! Six!

1. IzzyM profile image87

We never had a telly! lol

2. Kangaroo_Jase profile image74
        Kangaroo_Jaseposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Ok, you gals are responding quicker than my responses, lol

2. profile image0
      Motown2Chitownposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Congrats, kirsten!  All the best to you and your family!

big_smile  Babies are wonderful.

Unfortunately, I have no advice, but I really wanted to wish you well.

2. prettydarkhorse profile image62
    prettydarkhorseposted 11 years ago

Congrats Kirsten! It was a historic day for you - your baby was born on Sept 11.

it is good that you are breastfeeding. That must be painful sore nipples, you can ask your health provider who will visit you if they can give you something to soothe your nipple as that will be painful, the baby will suck on it because he is hungry. Is there milk coming out already, usually it becomes sore when the baby keeps on sucking for long period of time and there is no milk coming out just yet, but then he needs to suck so that your milk will engage. As that will be painful (sore nipples), I hope they can allow you mix feeding, buy a formula milk (ask your health provider) for the meantime and you alternate it with breastfeeding until the sore is diminished. Then you can throw the can of formula milk afterwards. Four hours is long enough, that is why it is sore. You can buy a breast pump, use it if you like for the meantime that it is sore.

For the meantime get some rest, sleep when you can while he is sleeping and eat healthy.

Welcome to the world of being a mom, it is the most wonderful feeling! smile

3. Hollie Thomas profile image60
    Hollie Thomasposted 11 years ago

Firstly Kirsten, congratulations to you and hubby on the birth of your little boy. smile

As long as your finger is clean (which I'm sure it is big_smile) I can't see any problem, he probably just wants to suckle for the comfort rather than the feed. I didn't breast feed either of my two, the first one I had no milk, and the second one I'd had a C section and needed two blood transfusions, I was too ill. So I can't offer much advice there. I'd wait for the midwife, if your son's really hungry he'll let you know in no uncertain terms. big_smile

Once again, many congratulations. .

4. profile image0
    EmpressFelicityposted 11 years ago

Can't offer any advice, but congratulations on your baby boy though!

5. WryLilt profile image88
    WryLiltposted 11 years ago

Congratulations!

All the advice I've received and everything I've read and experienced indicates that the second night is the hardest; that's when baby begins feeding continually to try and bring in the milk.

With my first no one warned me and after a three hour feed I was so sore I had to start expressing.

The good news? If you can stick it out for two weeks you usually toughen up and the pain goes.

6. Kangaroo_Jase profile image74
    Kangaroo_Jaseposted 11 years ago

Kirsten, congratulations on your wonderful boy!!!!! My partner is expecting our first in a couple of weeks smile

I have had a lot of exposure to breastfeeding and have heard many conversations between my partner and her lactation consultants. I've also attended a couple of meetings for the Australian Breastfeeding Association and expect to have a lactation consultant come over in the initial days after birth just to make sure its all working OK.

As far as I know, roughly four hour on demand feeding by breast is natural and he should actually feed for . If your nipples are sore, you have probably not had a chance to 'milk' your breasts to bring on colostrum before the wonderful birth. Therefore your child is not quite latching fully onto your breast (this is the most common cause of sore nipples).

I can as a male suggest you see if your hospital of birth can provide a contact for a lactation consultant.

At least you can also get some useful information from http://www.abm.me.uk/

Hope this helps Kirsten and again, congrats!!!!

Sorry but bull. Yes, sometimes poor latch causes pain.

But fair skinned women in particular are likely to experience pain. I did with both daughters and they both had a great latch.

And you don't need to milk colostrum before birth smile some midwives recommend storing it, but that just means there will be less feeding due to supplementing with the store, therefore taking longer to bring in milk from supply and demand.

1. Kangaroo_Jase profile image74
        Kangaroo_Jaseposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I missed the word 'probably' in the sentence, ' Therefore your child is (probably) not quite latching fully onto your breast.'

Yes, poor connection to the breast is not an only cause of pain and discomfort or the other myriad of potential issues that can arise.

The sentence of mine above makes it read so, but is not my intent.

Above all, breast feeding has its own inherent difficulties and is a different experience for each mother and new born child.

Sorry! Yes, it does, and it is SO different for everyone. Unfortunately a lot of women don't get the support they need though sad I only had Google for my first. But in my case that's all I need *nerd glasses*

7. LeanMan profile image80
    LeanManposted 11 years ago

Congrats!!

I have a little boy of now 11 months, although it is my wife that breastfeeds him not me!

From day one we had him on a bottle also as Prettydarkhorse suggests. This gave my wife a chance to relax as well as giving me the opportunity to feed also which was great.

When he got to about 3 months however he basically realized that breast is best and refused point blank to take the bottle no matter how hungry he was!

Since about 7 months he would take formula milk happily from a baby cup and can go day time drinking from his cup; but night he HAS to have his boobies!

I hope you enjoy your little man as much as I am enjoying mine.

1. IzzyM profile image87

A difficulty can arise from breastfeeding that is never mentioned in the advice columns or from midwives, is that some babies like breast milk so much, they won't take from a bottle.

My second baby was given breast only, following advice.

I had to return to work after maternity leave, and couldn't.

She downright refused to take a bottle!

I was only expected to do one single night shift a week, but at that point she was not sleeping for the full 12 hours I'd be away, and needed her Mum.

Luckily the bosses in the hospital I worked in were really understanding and gave me extra unpaid leave until the issue was resolved.

I think she became the youngest baby ever to drink from a feeding cup, just for that one night a week.

For that reason alone, all my subsequent babies were offered both breast and bottle from birth, to get them used to either, and I never did have that problem again.

I had the same issue with my second (didn't have to return to work, so I got lazy). At 7 months I decided to put her in daycare once a week. I had to try two types of bottles and all the tricks in the book but she finally is ok with bottles. I generally don't take no for an answer though. Except with sleep. I have kids that don't sleep the night for wayyyy  too long and I don't have the stamina for CC or camping lol.

8. MelissaBarrett profile image58
    MelissaBarrettposted 11 years ago

Kristen..

My little guy is just shy of two weeks but we have finally settled in to a nursing pattern.  My milk came in at day four if that gives you hope.  Nursing for four hours straight is probably not a good idea...  your nipples just can't take it.  For the first week I nursed at most for 20 minutes on each side then offered a bit of formula.  We haven't given formula for a week now though and Aiden now has plenty to drink...  and I go through a couple shirts a day in addition.  The nursing pads don't do it though... pm me for my solution if this gets to be a problem for you.

1. profile image0
      Motown2Chitownposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Oh, Melissa!  I knew there was a reason you hadn't been around as much lately!

Congratulations and lots of love to you as well!

BIG HUGS to you and the little one. 

big_smile

2. kirstenblog profile image78
      kirstenblogposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Congrats on your little guy! http://www.smileyvault.com/albums/CBSS/smileyvault-cute-big-smiley-static-005.jpg

I hope maybe my milk coming in will see things improve. I do wonder if he is ready for it but since my body isn't he is getting a bit stroppy when a feed is over, like he is distinctly disappointed hmm
      If so then milk coming in should help with that, and of course see us changing nappies more often (I thought he was supposed to be a pop factory, he isn't soiling nappies very often at all atm).

1. Hollie Thomas profile image60
        Hollie Thomasposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Trust me he will, has he peed when you've been changing him yet? It's like a sprinkler system. big_smile And just wait until you start weening him, it's like pooh but all colours of the spectrum. lol

He has managed to turn 3 onezies yellow so far during a change and the poo is not that sticky meconium anymore (doesn't that sound like a made up element in a comic book or something? lol) and is starting to have a smell so thats actually helpful to know when a change is needed smile

1. Hollie Thomas profile image60
            Hollie Thomasposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Ohhh, you have green,purple and who knows how many colours left before he reaches brown. smile Just goes to show though, every thing seems to be in perfect working order! I remember bringing my son home and he appeared to pee every single time I changed his nappy; it landed in my slippers, face, PJs it was like taking a mini shower every time I changed him. smile

9. kirstenblog profile image78
    kirstenblogposted 11 years ago

Sorry to take so long to get back to you guys, as you can imagine even when I can read posts my hands are not always free to reply smile

Neo does seem to have a good latch, when the midwife came round for a visit yesterday she arrived in time for a feed and commented straight away that his latch was good (lots of areola in his mouth). I just shouldn't let him go on for so long that first night because of not knowing better, it never even occurred to me that a baby might feed for too long, would have thought the little guy would get full eventually smile

It hasn't gotten worse and I keep using the lanolin cream which is good cause its safe for baby to have when feeding so there is some protection there. The pads may be a bit early to be using but frankly they do seem to offer some comfort after a feed as well (the padding feels nice with the fresh cream applied). I do wonder if the problem is that Neo is hungry enough for proper milk but since I am still just producing colostrum he isn't getting that satisfied feeling that stops us from over eating. I hope that the milk comes in soon smile

I have also done one soak in slightly salted water (warm) to help sooth and ensure nothing can properly grow (I have heard of the nipples getting thrush yikes). Luckily I do have access to some good support, my MIL is always good to ask questions of as she knows a lot of the natural remedies that would interest me, but also there is a reasonable support being offered by the community midwifes.

I actually found something sort of weird, when I first went in to meet the midwifes and such I made it clear that I had had depression and had been in foster care etc. We talked about it and decided that post natal depression was no more of a risk for me then others but we would just keep an eye on it and that was it. At the end of the pregnancy I went in to visit the birth centre (for the all natural birth option, no access to epidural but a nice mellow environment) as I was interested in a natural birth. The midwife there saw my old faded scars and asked about them, like I had before I told her about my past and showed the notes in my paperwork about it. Turns out that if a woman has been in foster care it is automatic that they are supposed to be given a dedicated midwife for extra support. I was at that point given one but found it a bit insulting at first. The midwife turned out to be wonderful and damn if I don't wish she had been there the whole time! Even now, discharged from her care, if I call her she  will try to direct me to whatever answer I am looking for (the midwife yesterday came late in the day and we got worried so called my midwife and she happy to answer our nipple question and chase up the community midwife who was on her way at the time. Frankly, every first time mom should get a dedicated midwife imo, the month or so I had her was A LOT easier.

1. IzzyM profile image87

Sounds like you are getting well taken care of smile

They always used to say colostrum, even in teeny amounts, was all baby needed. Something to do with its high fat content.
      That never explained why some babies are never satisfied with it!
      Hope your milk is coming through now, if not it will soon.
      Rough time!
      Been there. done it LOL.  It is great the support that is there now smile

It's actually really nice to have so much support, we even were told who we can call at 2am when we don't know why Neo is doing something or how to deal with something, like what happened with the marathon feed lol
        Had I known, I might have saved myself some trouble but oh well! Live and learn smile

Glad it's going ok.

Thrush is awful. But you're more likely to get it if you/bub take antibiotics (had it undiagnosed for six weeks with my first, not fun!)
          And with depression, ANY type for the first two years is called postnatal. I had reactive depression at 9 months and they just put it under the blanket pnd even though it wasn't.

Hope your milk comes in soon! Although you may wish it hadn't for the first few days! Btw I have a hub about whether your baby is getting enough milk if you ever worry about that. And I highly recommend a FB page called "The Leaky B@@b" for support. Over 50,000 BF women for support!

I may well pop along to your hub as its easy to worry and just want to know more big_smile
            So far I have had "weepy" moments, often when tired at night and poor Neo is crying and cannot be comforted, try burping, tummy rub for wind, clean nappy and still fussy. It is heart breaking in those moments but the funny thing is hubs gets the exact same. Thankfully it hasn't happened that we both get weepy at the same time smile
            This way at least one of us can go have a little cry while the other keep calmly trying to offer comfort to Neo and usually, with enough patience and time Neo does calm down. Then we can go offer the other comfort big_smile

Daddy is being so sweet, it's touching really to see. Not many dads seem to get so passionate about wanting to be a good dad. When he had to leave the hosptial after the birth because visiting hours were over, he was about to cry and told me later that once off ward he did cry, he just didn't want to leave us and was worried about me being tired and having to do feeds and such (not that the midwifes on the ward wouldn't do whatever was needed if my energy/health were not up to whatever job I might need to do).

10. peeples profile image92
    peeplesposted 11 years ago

I'm glad you seem to be getting some sorted out. If your LO is acting fussy at night before bed I suggest the colic hold. Look up how to carry a child in that hold. It was a lifesaver with my daughter. That and laying down to breastfeed with me on my side. This helped her calm down and gave me a moment to rest. Even walking around in the dark while breastfeeding. It seemed to help her relax and I would turn the tv on real low so I had something to watch while I nursed. I spent the first 4 months of her life doing this. To get my milk going faster I used fenugreek. It was wonderful and worked fast. If your nipples are sore you can coat coconut oil on them after feedings. It will soften them up and help ease the pain. I totally disagree with anyone who says your child can feed for too long. Nursing brings not only food but comfort in this new scary world. The more often and longer your child nurses the more milk is produced. This leads to a great supply and a wonderful bond. Congrats on your new little one! Remember to try to do things to get some rest in this hectic time!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)