If my husband having pulmonary embolism can it harmfull to my new born?

1. profile image48
    asmalovesarifposted 7 years ago

If my husband having pulmonary embolism can it harmfull to my new born?

2. Lwelch profile image95
    Lwelchposted 7 years ago

So, if I have this right, your husband had blood clots in his lungs.  You have a new baby. (congratulations!)

You may want to explore if your husband's family has a history of clotting.  This would show up as :strokes or heart attacks at a young age, pulmonary embolisms (especially before age 40), deep vein thrombosis, clots in the legs, or miscarriages.

It is possible that his embolism was just random chance or environmental causes (such as surgery).  In that case, there is no chance of the baby having a problem.

There is a chance though that it is a genetic clotting condition (thrombophilia).

If it is genetic, there is a 1/4 chance that the baby carries it.  For most people this means just being careful about surgery, long trips, etc.  You would teach your child the signs of clotting, warn about hormone therapies causing clotting, etc.  The child most likely would never clot.

I suspect my mom carries the gene that contribute to my clot.  She is in her 60s and has never clotted.

If you want to know more about the risks to your child or children, talk to a hematologist and have the blood work done to test for the various thrombophilias. 

You may also, for peace of mind, look at your family history.  If you both carry a gene it is more likely to be passed on.

The good news though... most people never clot even WITH a clotting disorder.  If you add clotting precautions to daily practice the chance of a clot decreases more.

working