jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

What disease has no symptoms, but leads to sudden death in young adults

1. em_saenz profile image45
    em_saenzposted 6 years ago

What disease has no symptoms, but leads to sudden death in young adults

2. jenniferrpovey profile image91
    jenniferrpoveyposted 6 years ago

Do you mean SCD (sudden cardiac death)?

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/sudden-death/HB00092

3. em_saenz profile image45
    em_saenzposted 6 years ago

Yes I think it is something like that. I know that people who have it do not even know there is anything wrong with them.

4. foodiegonehealthy profile image60
    foodiegonehealthyposted 6 years ago

pulmonary embolism. It's where a clot (usually from your legs) travels to an artery in the lungs causing blockage.  If found quickly, it can be treated with blood thinners, but most don't know they have it.  Usually, pulmonary embolism is caused by DVT (deep vein thrombosis).  I don't think it is common in young adults, but it is a cause of sudden death in healthy, young adults.

An old high school classmate died in his sleep a couple of months ago due to pulmonary embolism. He was a healthy, active 27 year old.

5. Amber Allen profile image66
    Amber Allenposted 6 years ago

It could also be an abdominal aortic aneurysm.  This is a ballooning the aorta within the abdomen and it usually causes no symptoms until it bursts and if this happens it is often fatal.

Amber:)

6. networmed profile image60
    networmedposted 6 years ago

I'm gonna follow this topic. This is interesting and the same time vital to know these silent killers.

I believe this link would be helpful for further reading.
    http://www.sads.org.uk/causes_of_sads.htm

7. Lwelch profile image95
    Lwelchposted 6 years ago

30% of people with pulmonary embolism die based on autopsy reports.  Most of those 30% were never even diagnosed with pulmonary embolism.  Clot formed that was small enough not to cause symptoms, breaks off the vein, lodges in the lungs, blocks oxygen.

8. Express10 profile image88
    Express10posted 6 years ago

There are a variety of things that can lead to sudden death in young adults such as undiagnosed heart and diabetic troubles. There was an Olympic figure skater who died of heart problems at the ripe young age of 28.

working