jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

What are some good activities to help me go to sleep?

1. ezhang profile image
    ezhangposted 6 years ago

What are some good activities to help me go to sleep?

Sometimes I know that I am tired, but I can't fall asleep. What are some things that I could do, to help me relax and fall asleep faster?

2. Ren Chin profile image85
    Ren Chinposted 6 years ago

try drinking a glass of hot milk then reading a very tedious book

3. Rob Bell profile image74
    Rob Bellposted 6 years ago

Try this when you are in bed, lights off, eyes closed, etc.

Think of a shopping center you know well that has lots of shops.  Start at one end and list all the shops in your head.

Before you get to the end you will be asleep.

4. Rob Winters profile image85
    Rob Wintersposted 6 years ago

Depends a bit on the reason but here's a couple of general tips - No one thing necessarily but a number of good habits together will help. Here's a mix of things to try.

Exercising approx 4-5 hrs before going to bed will coincide with a slight drop in body temp at your bedtime which makes falling asleep easier. (Even a good brisk walk a few hours before bed should help).Helps reduce stress too.

Avoid caffeine in any form in the few hours before bed.

Not sure if this relates to your situation - but your bedroom should be a place for sleeping so don't use your bedroom as an office or to do work in.(you want it to only be associated as a place for rest (some exceptions :-)

You sound like you may be a little stressed(diff relaxing) -if you tend to worry a lot and think when you go to bed a good strategy is to write down the things you think you need to be worrying or thinking about - allows your mind to let go a bit "i won't forget those thing now i can deal with them tommorrow"

Don't spend your last hour before bed on the computer etc - can leave the mind too active to drift off.

There are meditation cd's and music etc that are good for helping the mind relax before bed - something you could make part of your daily bedtime routine.

When you do lie down - try not to focus to much on trying to fall asleep - try to just be happy you're relaxing. Sometimes even telling your self you're not going to try to fall asleep can actually help even though it sound a bit counter-intuitive.

There are natural/herbal remedies and tablets you can take to help - i know some people who swear by them. The act of just taking something can help too sometimes.

Obviously you could go to your doctor for a short-term supply of seeping tablets - but that should be a last resort.

Funny picture btw. GL hope it gets easier - can be quite frustrating when you have difficulty falling asleep.

5. rwelton profile image71
    rweltonposted 6 years ago

...you don't win a lot of friends, but I have found that a long tedious sermon at church, the dreaded, death-by-meeting at work, something in German at the opera, and my God-awful, I "don't really want to be doing this" date with my taxes will produce an almost euphoric bliss unparalleled by any over-the-counter med solutions...

...for a regular basis at home - a long, hot shower, a hot cup of chamomile/herb tea and then jump into bed with a big novel, works the best for me...

6. landscapeartist profile image77
    landscapeartistposted 5 years ago

Relax into a good book, take a hot bath and soak, shut out all the lights and lay there in the dark.