jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Is it right to ban circumcision?

1. BizGenGirl profile image90
    BizGenGirlposted 6 years ago

Is it right to ban circumcision?

A group of California parents are seeking to ban circumcision on a federal level. They are saying that it is an unnecessary mutilation of young boys and not right until they make the decision themselves. What do you think of this?

2. pitzele profile image69
    pitzeleposted 6 years ago

I think I have a problem with this on two levels:  constitutionally and logically.  From a Constitutional point of view, there is an issue of freedom of religion (and then, by extension, if it is legal and deemed not harmful for religious purposes, it should be legal for others as well).
    From a logical point of view, their argument has a logical flaw.  If the infant is not capable of speaking for themselves and disagreeing with the circumcision, then therefore, an unborn child should have the same rights accorded to itself.  In other words, if you can ban circumcision for humanitarian and equalitarian reasons, you must therefore ban abortion for the same reasons (unless, of course, there is a serious medical danger to the mother, in which case it should be allowed).  So which way do they want it - yes to both or no to both?  And even then, it may still be permitted under the Bill of Rights, but they have painted themselves into a corner, legally speaking.

3. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 6 years ago

I am against it because the federal government does not need to be involved so heavily in our lives.  Every time someone disagrees with something, they want it banned on a federal level.  If they disagree with it and have evidence that it is wrong, or pointless then they need to spend their money on educating new parents, and doctors as well.

4. nightwork4 profile image62
    nightwork4posted 6 years ago

well, it is healthier first off. secondly, what gives these folks the right to decide if others are circumsized? getting it done when your a baby makes sense, as an adult it makes lots of pain.

working