jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Have we forgotten to respect our elders

1. The Ghostwriter profile image75
    The Ghostwriterposted 6 years ago

Have we forgotten to respect our elders

All too often we see younger people being rude to elderly people, store assistants showing little or no patience .... what happened to respect?

2. Thesource profile image80
    Thesourceposted 6 years ago

You have a great question.
    In America, elders are not respected. The Republican politicians are even trying to remove Medicare (Medical Plan for elders in the US) from them.

I believe the spiritual evolution of a society can be measured on how well the elderly, the young and the sick are cared for.
    Unfortunately, America is lagging here despite its technological advancement.

3. europewalker profile image78
    europewalkerposted 6 years ago

It's a shame the way our elderly are treated. They have knowledge to share and no one wants to listen.

4. krisingreen profile image60
    krisingreenposted 6 years ago

Yeah, these sad things do happen. I have to admit, I've been rude to my parents more than once (and they're elderly now.) But as a nurse, i love taking care of old people as they are very easy to take care of and I'm a sucker for stories so I love sitting beside them and listen to them relive their glory days through story telling. It's really such a wonderful thing when i see the sparkle in their eyes. Sad to say, when I look around I see most kids are so rude to everyone even to those who are not yet as old.

5. Greenheart profile image57
    Greenheartposted 6 years ago

Yes, i believe we have.
    I guess it partly depends on our relationships to elders and grand-parents when we were growing up. Combined with the kind of person we are by nature.
    There is something about being an older person that should automatically be worthy of respect,just because they have been thought life a longer period of time. It also comes down to valuing humanity itself, being human!