jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Is about Glaucoma and it drugs

1. profile image48
    Emmanuel A Tettehposted 6 years ago

Is about Glaucoma and it drugs

I had operation on my lift eye three times within two weeks on Glaucoma.This is my sixth day after the third operation,the eye is still blear but I am still under medication.I was given these drugs: Econopred,Ciplox and Cyclogyl.Will I be okay with these drugs?

2. wychic profile image89
    wychicposted 6 years ago

I am not an expert, but I have done a LOT of medical note taking on the subject of glaucoma and various other eye issues. Most say that it is perfectly normal for your vision to take up to six weeks to normalize -- surgery can change the shape, pressure, etc., which takes time to heal.

Econopred is an anti-inflammatory -- sounds like a really good thing if you don't want excessive pressure injuring your eye.

Ciplox helps prevent bacterial infection -- again, essential, especially if your natural tears are compromised by surgery, as they often are.

Cyclogyl -- it depends on the type of glaucoma you have...some types it's not a good idea to use it, but if your ophthalmologist prescribed it then the assumption is that it's safe with the type you have. Discuss it with your doctor if you have any concerns.

3. Daughter Of Maat profile image97
    Daughter Of Maatposted 6 years ago

Depending on the type of surgery you had done, the drugs are prescribed for the following reasons:

Econopred - a sterioid and a derivative of prednisone. The generic name for Econopred is prednisolone acetate. It's used to prevent over reaction of the immune system causing inflammation and pain.

Ciprofloxacin - a fluoroquinolone antibiotic used to prevent infections.

Cyclogel - A cycloplegic dilating drop for comfort. Keeping the eye dilated blurrs vision, but also helps alleviate pain. If you're on cyclogyl, I'm assuming you had a trabeculectomy. In this case the dilating drop is to prevent posterior synechiae or the iris sticking to the lens. And again to alleviate pain.

None of these drops are systemically absorbed enough to cause any adverse affects. Allergic reactions and systemic drug interactions are rare but they do happen.

4. ptosis profile image76
    ptosisposted 3 years ago

I had zero problems and was able to drive myself home. I wrote a hub about it. http://ptosis.hubpages.com/hub/Peripher … Experience