jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (9 posts)

Why do people only seek medical attention when necessary?

1. nursingmania profile image57
    nursingmaniaposted 6 years ago

Why do people only seek medical attention when necessary?

2. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image98
    Wesman Todd Shawposted 6 years ago

Why???? Because healthcare is expensive.  I do not know where you live - but in the United States we have the world's best health care for rich persons only - people like me had better just not get sick.

3. nikki_m profile image83
    nikki_mposted 6 years ago

The cost is definitely an issue. Even with insurance, if you haven't met your deductible yet, you can get slammed with healthcare bills, and right now is not the time for unexpected expenses.

Also, from working in the healthcare field, I think many people put off medical care until the last minute (or unfortunately, until it's too late) because they are afraid that something might be seriously wrong, and the possibility of hearing a definite diagnosis from a doctor is scary to them.

Then, there's some people that don't like medical treatment, especially if it means being admitted into a hospital or put through a lot of tests.

4. nightwork4 profile image60
    nightwork4posted 6 years ago

because that's the only time they should. why would anyone seek medical attention if they aren't sick? in canada we have free healthcare and too many people that aren't really sick fill our hospitals with stupid illnesses that aren't really there or don't require medical attention.

5. wychic profile image90
    wychicposted 6 years ago

Because it's too darn expensive. Most of the people I know, myself included, tend to not even seek medical care when it IS necessary because we can't afford it and don't want to put an additional financial burden on our families. I had an arm broken in two places for a month and a half before I finally decided it wasn't going to heal on its own and needed a doctor -- thankfully the break that had healed did so correctly, the other one was on a joint so it still hurt. Yes, it's true that the emergency room can't turn anyone down. It's equally true that they'll charge exorbitant rates just for you being there, and you'll probably be paying for it for a long time to come. The good news, if you have insurance then you'll only be paying for about six months until you hit your deductible. Yes, I'm in the US.

6. Rob Winters profile image85
    Rob Wintersposted 6 years ago

I'm sure he meant to include the word 'absolutely' before the word necessary.

To avoid the financial cost or the inability to fund said costs in the first place.

Denial - people convince themselves it will get better without assistance or intervention.

Fear that their concerns may be confirmed or worse.

Many people aren't comfortable (for many reasons) with receiving medical attention.

People don't llke seeking help - us men don't even like asking for directions when we're lost.

People are lazy - it's easier not to do so until absolutely necessary.

7. lambservant profile image94
    lambservantposted 6 years ago

You answered the question in your question. When it's necessary.

8. tyler_richmond profile image54
    tyler_richmondposted 6 years ago

Depends on the person really. Some people don't like to accept help, some don't like to share their problems, some have trust issues, some have fears. Everything a person does depends on that person.

9. tamarawilhite profile image91
    tamarawilhiteposted 16 months ago

* The cost of the medical bills they'd incur.
    * Fear that they'd see the doctor, pay several hundred dollars, and be told it is no big deal.