jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

What are your thoughts on the Death With Dignity Act?

1. hpedneau profile image73
    hpedneauposted 6 years ago

What are your thoughts on the Death With Dignity Act?

I recently watched the documentary on HBO entitled "How To Die In Oregon," which shows different views on the Death With Dignity Act. The law allows for those to make the choice to die, when reaching the point where medication cannot help the pain. The patients have to be able to state verbally that they know what will happen if they take the medication. What are your thoughts?

2. Allen Williams profile image85
    Allen Williamsposted 6 years ago

There are times when people are in pain, or depressed and they feel like they want to die.  If there were permitted to take a pill during a time when they are distressed, I don't believe that is fair to them or their families.  They might be going through a temporary time, and / or they might not be in the right state of mind to make such a decision. 

I personally treated for depression and I wanted to die but after having treatment for depression, I am better and don't want to die.  I've been in pain and in the hospital and it seemed unbearable so I wanted to die.  The pain went away and now I don't want to die.  See my point is that during time of pain, we are not thinking clearly so by asking someone that is in great pain and then taking their response as a true answer is insane.

3. BizGenGirl profile image90
    BizGenGirlposted 6 years ago

Allen, while you make a very good point, I don't believe the Death With Dignity program covers depression. It mostly covers terminal cancer and aids patients. People with physically debilitating illnesses that cannot be treated other ways. They have to go through a strict process of counciling and other therapies before they can actually get "the pill", just for the purpose of ruling out things like depression.

4. BizGenGirl profile image90
    BizGenGirlposted 6 years ago

There are various states that have Death With Dignity Acts that allow for terminally ill patients to choice certain methods (usually a pill) of medically assisted suicide. These acts are written in a way to give the option of "being put out of one's... read more

5. Jonesy0311 profile image59
    Jonesy0311posted 6 years ago

I can't believe that we have regressed to the point where we are requesting government approval to kill ourselves. Should the government tell me to wear a seat belt so i don't bump my little head? Should they take fat children away from parents and chalk it up to abuse? Should they tell restaurants that they can't make us fat anymore? We don't need an official decree to approve every single decision we make or control even the most minute aspects of our lives. America has lost all notion of personal responsibility. If Granny wants to die, let her. Who else is better equipped to make that decision than the one who's life is in question?