jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Why do people get tattoos in memory of friends/family who have died?

1. cjcarter profile image76
    cjcarterposted 6 years ago

Why do people get tattoos in memory of friends/family who have died?

Is it a way to grieve? Tell me what you think.

2. brittanytodd profile image95
    brittanytoddposted 6 years ago

I think it's a way for them to honor their loved one who has passed.  The tattooed person may do it for public display, but I think it's mostly for remembrance, grieving and honor.

3. Jeannieinabottle profile image92
    Jeannieinabottleposted 6 years ago

I think people like to tattoos that mean something to them since they last a lifetime.  If the person can't have someone they love with them forever, at least they can have a tattoo to represent that person.

4. NiaG profile image90
    NiaGposted 6 years ago

I have asked myself the same question. To be honest I don't get it. I mean, are you going to tattoo your whole body with everyone that passes away that means something to you? That could be 10 people or more!

And on the other hand, was getting my tattoo silly and frivelous just because I got something fun that doesn't truly have a meaning behind it and I only got it for "decorative" purposes? I dunno. Good question cjcarter. :-)

5. proudmamma profile image79
    proudmammaposted 6 years ago

I believe it is a way for them to grieve and remember there loved one. My ex-daughter-in-law has a tattoo on the back of her neck. It is of her daughter's, my granddaughter's, footprint with her name under it. She was born sixteen weeks premature and only survived for 5 days. Everybody deals with grief in their own way.