jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (9 posts)

What are some good cardio activities other than running?

1. tswilson profile image58
    tswilsonposted 6 years ago

What are some good cardio activities other than running?

Running tends to be tough on my joints so I am looking for some new ways to get a cardio workout.

2. SimpleGiftsofLove profile image79
    SimpleGiftsofLoveposted 6 years ago

Stairmaster!  I like to do 250 floors, you don't have to go fast, but climbing is good!

3. tswilson profile image58
    tswilsonposted 6 years ago

Thanks for the answer SimpleGiftsofLove.  I'll have to explore that option.  Sounds great.

4. CyclingFitness profile image93
    CyclingFitnessposted 6 years ago

Studio Cycling (spinning)- indoors
    Mountain Biking
    Road Cycling
    Cyclo Cross
    Rowing
    Cross Traininer on the gym (much gentler than running on your joints)
    Take up walking you can even use walking poles if your knees are weak

5. profile image0
    Poetic Foolposted 6 years ago

Walking!  If you keep up a good clip and wear a good pair of walking shoes you will gain most of the cardio benefits of running and minimize the wear and tear on your joints.  That said, I've found that mixing up your cardio activities makes it much more enjoyable and easier to stick with it.  Try mixing walking, stairmaster (or other equipment), cycling, swimming, etc.  Best of luck!

6. AllSuretyBonds profile image55
    AllSuretyBondsposted 6 years ago

I like to Rollerblade, Bicycle, or swimming. Running it great but it can become boring and my knees and joints start to hurt as well.

7. Kris Heeter profile image81
    Kris Heeterposted 6 years ago

Typically a good rule is to think of sport activities that end in "-ing" - many of which have already been mentioned:

swimming
    biking
    rowing
    walking (power walking, not a stroll)
    hiking
    hooping (it's becoming very "hip" around here)
    skiing (cross country)

Also structured cardio classes like Jazzercise (combines aerobic dance and strength training), zumba, spinning, etc.

If you take a class, be sure that your instructor is certified by an reputable fitness training program  - one that will continually monitor and evaluate instructors.  Don't be afraid to ask about their training and ongoing education.   I've seen too many inappropriately trained fitness instructors that end up teaching movements incorrectly that could ultimately lead to injury.

8. Danette Watt profile image86
    Danette Wattposted 6 years ago

try jumping rope - that will get your heart going!

9. jacobspage profile image73
    jacobspageposted 6 years ago

JUMP ROPE, lunges, bike riding, swimming, pushups and situps, any sports(ie basketball or tennis). Many people dont know that weight lifting drives up your heart rate and can be considered a cardio activity.

working