jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (9 posts)

Does an addict ever fully recover?

1. proudmamma profile image79
    proudmammaposted 6 years ago

Does an addict ever fully recover?

Do they ever have the same fun-loving, take the world by storm personality again?

2. Lastheart profile image65
    Lastheartposted 6 years ago

Yes, of course; an addict could fully recovered. Our bodies, mind, souls and spirit were created to be well.

3. kendracoates profile image61
    kendracoatesposted 6 years ago

Yes an addict does fully recover. One may still be called an addict, but they are brought back to life again, with out the help of the drug, but with the help of family friends and will power. They can take the world by storm again, but with new life learned skills.

4. perfectperception profile image60
    perfectperceptionposted 6 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/5984665_f260.jpg

In my opinion, NO but they can win.  It is destined to be a constant struggle.  Smoking cigarettes is an addiction but people who have quit smoking can still get the urge to smoke from time to time but will power is what sees them through.  That being said, it is determination to quit that drives success or failure.

5. profile image0
    jasper420posted 6 years ago

no recovery is an everyday proccess you never recover because at any time you could slip back into using

6. moiragallaga profile image82
    moiragallagaposted 6 years ago

I agree with perfectperception and jasper420. They can recover but it will be a constant struggle. The possibility to relapse or fall back into addiction is ever-present. Will-power and support groups are important in maintaining recovery. I know someone who has recovered and he's the one who told me how he can never be complacent, even after years of being clean, as it only takes a simple misstep to fall back into bad habits.

7. freefogging profile image77
    freefoggingposted 6 years ago

No, once an addict, always an addict. But, they can conquer their addiction. My husband is an alcoholic, but hasn't drank in years. My son is a drug and alcohol addict and is in inhouse treatment along with going to AA and NA...I believe he can beat this addiction. But, he will always consider himself an addict. It will definitely be a constant struggle, but with the help of AA, NA and counseling...he can beat this addiction.

8. profile image0
    Dr Rabieposted 6 years ago

Recovery from addiction medically is possible and may be an easy step in the way to ordinary life, if the addict seeks reputable addiction treatment center.
    The treatment of addiction isn't just a medical treatment. The reasons that drive the addict for drugs should be solved, and the addict should be surrounded by great social support to continue his/her way.

9. profile image0
    Kathleen Kerswigposted 6 years ago

I know of people who are even more fun-loving now in sobriety than they ever were when they were actively drinking or drugging. In my experience, I've come to learn that anything is possible. Getting clean and sober may be very difficult at first but there are thousands of people who have gone on to achieve magnificence once they found a way to stay sober.

working