jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

What do you think about implantable microchips that deliver medication to patien

1. stephhicks68 profile image88
    stephhicks68posted 6 years ago

What do you think about implantable microchips that deliver medication to patients?

I read about a drug dispensing device that is implanted in a patient's fingertip and controlled via a wireless connection as an alternative to injected medications (i.e. for osteoporosis, and even diabetes someday) developed based on research by MIT.  What are the pros and cons?  Will this technology work?

2. jaredbangerter profile image88
    jaredbangerterposted 6 years ago

It makes me think about the New World Order, when we'll all be forced to have implantable microchips anyways for 'security' purposes.

3. profile image0
    kelleywardposted 6 years ago

As a diabetic I think it would be great. I had Norplant implanted birth control and experienced a lot of side effects, headaches etc and got it removed a year later. It's possibly a good thing for diabetics if they can work out how to monitor the amount of insulin released etc.

4. livewithrichard profile image86
    livewithrichardposted 6 years ago

I don't see why it wouldn't work.  There are already time release contraceptives that are inserted into a woman's arm, such as Norplant.  Sure its not a microchip but it provides a similar effect. 

I could see some benefits of use by Alzheimer patient, and those with chronic ailments such as heart disease, osteoporosis, and diabetes since a needed dose of medication can be provided at precisely the right time.  I can also see an expensive upkeep of the technology as any microchip would be susceptible to static electrical charges and rendered useless or incapable to deliver the proper dosage, though I'm sure there will also be some sort of home device that can diagnose technical issues. Heck, for diabetes it might also be able to scan for sugar levels and the user would never have to prick for blood again. 

Sounds like good technology to invest in.

5. teaches12345 profile image96
    teaches12345posted 6 years ago

I have not heard of this new method of dispensing medicine. It is one that would be beneficial to those who have trouble remembering dosage and when to take their medicine. On the other hand, it may be considered an invasion of personal freedom. If there is an allergic reaction or side effects how long would it take to counteract the effects or how would the administrator know of the problem?

6. Dubuquedogtrainer profile image60
    Dubuquedogtrainerposted 6 years ago

Not sure. I heard about this too, but am not currently active in the medical profession. I'd have to see this to know more and have an opinion.

7. webclinician profile image61
    webclinicianposted 5 years ago

I don't know how this can be useful.
    The most common problem that you will have is overdose.
    Imagine someone hacking into the microchip and causing it to give more than what it's supposed to give. This is the same reason why mobile phone is not allowed in the Intensive care unit.
    Nice concept but very much flawed.

working