jump to last post 1-13 of 13 discussions (13 posts)

What do you do to beat the winter blues?

1. papillonsea profile image58
    papillonseaposted 6 years ago

What do you do to beat the winter blues?

2. m0rd0r profile image72
    m0rd0rposted 6 years ago

Good company.

Drinks.

Strong music.

Hot bed.

Coffee and/or tea on weak up.

Enough work, so I don't think of anything else.

(rinse and repeat).

3. Express10 profile image88
    Express10posted 6 years ago

Usually some sort of exercise helps me. I like figure skating and swimming best but using the elliptical, a trampoline, or stretch bands also give me a boost in mental and physical energy.

It is also important to get outside and actually get 10 or 15 minutes of natural sunlight, even on cloudy days. Decorating with lush plants or bright colors can also help.

4. kjetil profile image40
    kjetilposted 6 years ago

Travel to a part of the world where there is summer smile

5. profile image0
    Emily Sparksposted 6 years ago

Dreaming of the warm Spring sure helps alot!!!!

6. papillonsea profile image58
    papillonseaposted 6 years ago

great answers so far! smile blaring Fleetwood Mac also seems to help me, but i need something more!

7. duffsmom profile image61
    duffsmomposted 6 years ago

I have found that vitamin D has been very helpful - that and the hope of spring!

8. whisperingfalls profile image37
    whisperingfallsposted 6 years ago

1)Exercise can help when done on a regular basis like 3 to 4 times a week for 20-30 mins at a time and being aerobic type-this can be walking, elliptical, swimming or even a pick up game of basketball. exercise helps by increase the brain activities that help regulate your moods.
    2)light therapy. the light acts like the natural sun light and produces increased brain activity ans also some skin cell activity.
    3) St John wart herbal supplemental tablets can help increase your mood as well. the down side it can decrease the effectiveness of some medication and other medication it increases how much your body stores the medication
    4) being outside more.
    5) if possible move to an area that has more sun days then cloud covered or dark days. ie new mexico would be better then Alaska
    6) be more social: be with friends and family
    7) decrease the amount of beer or other alcohol: alcohol is a type of depression causing factors
    8) look up seasonal affective disorder
    9) talk to a health care provider or mental health person about short term use of ant-depression medication

9. CaravanHolidays profile image60
    CaravanHolidaysposted 6 years ago

Mark the winter solstice (late december) as a turning point when the days turn around and start to slowly get longer (part of a psychological arsenal against the winter blues)

10. athena2011 profile image54
    athena2011posted 6 years ago

Whisperingfalls has provide you a good list. This is one of the areas that I have researched and written on at my blog extensively,so if you need further help with getting a solution go there for an assortment of non-drug solutions to Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) which the winter blues are officially called. Visit howtorelievestresseasily dot com.

Many do not believe that this condition exists, but it does, and can affect your life quite negatively so seek out solutions for dealing with it as there are many.

11. Hui (蕙) profile image83
    Hui (蕙)posted 6 years ago

Listen to some light music, do physical exercise, singing, and having parties.

12. profile image0
    jasper420posted 6 years ago

Hot choaclate, heater blanket, music, Tv, warm fire I do the best to enjoy the benifits of every season each season has its ups and downs but I enjoy the ups and do what I can to make the best of it.

13. samadaslam profile image61
    samadaslamposted 6 years ago

A month before winter I start taking Vitamin D.
    During winter I eat Peanuts, Fish and Drink Coffee to beat the winter blues

working