jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

How do you reduce salt,sugar,and fat in your diet.

1. suzzycue profile image93
    suzzycueposted 6 years ago

How do you reduce salt,sugar,and fat in your diet.

I quit drinking diet soda ,in fact now I drink water instead. I stopped using canned soups and make my own soups they taste better and have a lot less salt . The fat I now use olive oils instead of canolla but what else can I do to reduce salt,sugar and fat from my diet.

2. dahoglund profile image81
    dahoglundposted 6 years ago

It seems that you are on the right track. There are a  number of books around on the subject, especially ones aimed at diabetics. When shopping read the labels for the amounts of these ingredients in the food.Probably on the internet you can find charts of what meats and fish have the least fats..

3. MojoDawg profile image61
    MojoDawgposted 6 years ago

There are two simple ways to do all of those. Don"t eat processed food, this will account for at least 75% of the salt most people consume. Eat less meat and instead consume more raw foods which are super foods for your body.
    During Lent might be a good time to put this to a test and see how it goes. Blessings!

4. Adamowen profile image80
    Adamowenposted 6 years ago

This is a topic that I get asked a lot personally. I hope my answer can shed some light on the subject and help you along the way!

The biggest flaw in the western diet is something called "convenience". Most people typically don't have the time to prepare food fresh, which leaves a gap in their day to intake nutrients. Pre packaged foods contain large amounts of sodium and are "bulked" with excess calories from fat mainly as it is the cheapest macro-nutrient to add for its value (9calories per gram of fat as opposed to carbohydrates and protein both at 4calories per gram)

Some of the tips that I give during consultations are .. ALWAYS read nutrition labels and read through the ingredient list, swap out drinks that contain sugar for water, be aware of the amount of salt that foods contain (check on the labels) and most importantly be aware of the different foods groups, use single ingredient foods (Carrot, fresh meat, rice etc.) and add salt to enhance flavour if you wish. Knowledge is key when it comes to nutrition!

The intake of sodium and fat is widely misunderstood by the public but that is a topic for another day! Don't be afraid of salt or saturated fat as they are essential and needed, the keyword here is moderation. Moderate the amount of "bad" food and you'll be fine.

I hope this gave you some background and helped you out.

5. profile image0
    trainer ben gamonposted 6 years ago

you are doing really good already.
    make sure you keep reading labels, try to cook from scratch with fresh produce. stay away from already made meals.

6. LensMan999 profile image52
    LensMan999posted 5 years ago

Including salt (sodium chloride) in our food is good as it is very important for a healthy and balanced diet. Sodium is a very essential factor for our body to help maintain water and mineral balances and blood volume. But in taking too much of... read more