jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (5 posts)

What is the best way to talk to a loved one about seeing their doctor about Alzh

1. jesimpki profile image96
    jesimpkiposted 6 years ago

What is the best way to talk to a loved one about seeing their doctor about Alzheimer's?

How do you broach the subject, with them and their children or other family members?

2. Kebennett1 profile image61
    Kebennett1posted 6 years ago

My mother lives with me and I take care of her. She has had several strokes over the past 15 years, is unable to walk without a walker, is a diabetic and she started showing signs of having Alzheimer's. She started asking the same questions over and over again, losing things, forgetting peoples names, forgetting what she walked into a room to do, began to act more and more like a child etc...  I took the direct approach with her and sat down with her and explained the symptoms of Alzheimer's to her and told her that I thought she might have early onset Alzheimer's and that I thought she should see her Doctor for confirmation and to get some help. She was open to the idea of seeing the Doctor about it so I took her. Indeed she does have Alzheimer's and although there are medications to slow down the progression she is unable to take them right now due to other medication conflicts.

3. lburmaster profile image83
    lburmasterposted 6 years ago

Film them forgetting things. If they know what is good for them, they will go see a doctor. If they do not respond by seeking help, then do a few little things that challenge their memory to help pause the Alzheimer growth.

1. danstanton profile image60
      danstantonposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I would like to respond to this response. I work with seniors everyday, most of the clients I work with have some form of dementia. I have found that the direct approach can be helpful to some in the early stages of dementia, but as the disease progr

4. G-Ma Johnson profile image76
    G-Ma Johnsonposted 6 years ago

In answer to the question :   by  jesimpki.... What is the best way to talk to a loved one about seeing their doctor about Alzheimer's? 

Talk, talk, talk...research, research, research, and don't keep putting it off.
    In my humble opinion... read more

working