Is Fatorexia a viable disorder?

1. tigerbaby777 profile image85
    tigerbaby777posted 6 years ago

Is Fatorexia a viable disorder?

Fatorexia is said to be opposite of anorexia, is this a real disorder where heavy people see themselves as thin and try to dress in clothes far too small?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/6417744_f260.jpg

2. john000 profile image97
    john000posted 6 years ago

As I understand it, fatorexia (a disorder relating to ignoring obesity and denying its existence) is a problem for many. But what has happened in modern society is that an explanation for everything is required that is designed to soothe the victim. With the way science, politics, medicine and psychotherapy are going today, I really have no basis for a judgement. Nor do I think that anyone else has. Facing reality has become taboo. It is unfortunate, but such is the condition of today. How it will all end, I do not know. I hope well.

3. Dubuquedogtrainer profile image58
    Dubuquedogtrainerposted 6 years ago

I hadn't heard of this until now, but have pondered this and wondered. I do think our society has developed new norms, different from what they were say 30 or 40 years ago. I do think that we can become accustomed to new norms and that perhaps as an ego defense mechanism we do not see things sometimes as they really are. I wonder about this and wonder if as a society we haven't also lost some of our know-how or carefulness about dressing. I think as a society dressing has become much more casual than it was 30, 40 or more years ago and people seem to care less about appearing well dressed, proper and decent. It is interesting to me that although people may still be sensitive about what others think about their appearance, they do not seem to dress to accentuate their positive qualities and minimize their imperfections.

working