jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

What are some reasons why people get blackouts?

1. InfoFinder profile image72
    InfoFinderposted 6 years ago

What are some reasons why people get blackouts?

2. AngelArs profile image73
    AngelArsposted 6 years ago

This question cannot be answered correctly without more medical information. Could be anything from Type 1 diabetes to orthostatic hypotension (postural hypotension).

3. timorous profile image83
    timorousposted 6 years ago

Many people when under stress..even a little, have very shallow breathing, without realizing it. Without sufficient oxygen the brain will not work. Deep breathing exercises will restore the needed oxygen. The other factor is water. If you're not drinking enough water, you can have the same reaction...fainting.

4. jaybird22 profile image68
    jaybird22posted 6 years ago

People can black out from giving or loosing blood.  This is termed, in the medical field, a vasovagal reaction.  The reason I know this is because it happened to me once in the military.  The nurse took blood from me when I was standing up.  Next she told me to get in line to receive my hepatitis B vaccine. I remember feeling dizzy, so I went to sit down at the closest chair.  The next thing I know, I wake up laying on the drill hall floor with fellow soldiers all around me.  One person was holding my head.  I went to get up and they all yelled for me to remain laying down, and not to move.  The reason they were holding my head was because I passed out head-first on the cement drill hall floor, from a standing position. I was ok but it was definitely a strange experience.

You can also pass out from standing in one place to long.  If you do not slightly bend your knees, it will cut off the blood circulation to your feet, causing you to black out.  I also learned this in the Army.  We had to learn to stand at position of attention for long stretches without moving or shifting or footing.

5. brakel2 profile image81
    brakel2posted 6 years ago

I blamed out after being in the sun on a shady day for 8 hours. I have very fair skin  we were on a large boat returning from lake , and I had to lie down. We took a cab home , and I blacked out in my house. Some bad parts of my skin had bandages pit on by doctor. When I peeled. I looked like a leper. Lesson learned. On shady days, the sun still peeks out at you.

working