jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

As a Canadian are you embarrassed to be ranked 4th for obesity?

1. nightwork4 profile image61
    nightwork4posted 5 years ago

As a Canadian are you embarrassed to be ranked 4th for obesity?

we were ranked 4th in the world for obesity in developed countries. do you find it embarrassing or what?

2. WindMaestro profile image60
    WindMaestroposted 5 years ago

As an American I am quite embarrassed that we rank Number one (it flip flops between us and Australia). It doesn't really bother me though, because it is not my problem. I am not obese by any means (I run 5 miles a day, sometimes 10) so it is completely up to those affected to do something about it. Live and let live I say. It is completely up to you to be healthy.

3. tarajeyaram profile image60
    tarajeyaramposted 5 years ago

Thank you for asking this question.  It is a difficult subject to talk to people. 

This is the biggest problem for the developed countries like Canada, US, UK.  Yes we should be embarrassed to say that most of people in the developed countries are obese or overweight.  If the obesity is caused by genetics - that is a different problem.  Most common cause of obesity is excess calorie intake compared to burning the calories.  More and more people are looking for easy ways - more processed foods and less exercise. 
    Obesity leads to many diseases that costs the health care system to run down.  I wish people would be more conscious about what they are eating and exercise.

4. kapeedranos profile image42
    kapeedranosposted 5 years ago

i am not Canadian but for the humanity sake,i feel that it is really a matter of concern,obesity is not a good sign for any nation population..remembered people are the human resources of any country..obesity is a real obstacle,so it is the time for obese country to make some policy for discouraging obesity.. infant physical exercise should be mandatory and for some jobs ,it should be given top most priority,

5. UnnamedHarald profile image97
    UnnamedHaraldposted 5 years ago

As an American, I'm embarassed that our infant mortality rate ranks 31st out of 34 developed countries, behind every European nation (including Slovenia, Czech Republic, Estonia, Hungary, Poland and Slovakia), South Korea, Japan, Israel, Australia and New Zealand. Though we are better than Chile, Mexico and Turkey. Oorah.

6. L a d y f a c e profile image79
    L a d y f a c eposted 5 years ago

Not embarrassed. If I was contributing to the problem I might feel a little embarrassed... but mostly I feel sort of a .. sadness and shame combination. Canadians are my national family, and it makes me sad to see any other Canadians suffering, or sad, or cruising through heart-attack county at mach speed. It also makes me a little ashamed that our country hasn't been able to rise to the challenge of tackling it.

Yes, it can be genetic. But it's not genetic to be obese. It's genetic to be 'big'.

working