jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (11 posts)

Can you give aspirin to children?

1. usmlefacts profile image60
    usmlefactsposted 5 years ago

Can you give aspirin to children?

2. createmyeconomy profile image70
    createmyeconomyposted 5 years ago

yes - called baby aspirin or small dose of adult

3. am301986 profile image60
    am301986posted 5 years ago

Yes, you can but there's a chance it could lead to Reye's Syndrome, it is rare though. Ryes syndrome are danger which may happen when child have viruse infection and in the same time take aspirin. Ryes syndrome danger are liver toxicity and hyper ventillation (difficult to breath).

4. christin53 profile image81
    christin53posted 5 years ago

Aspirin isn't recommended for children under sixteen unless prescribed by a doctor.Due to the risk of Reye’s syndrome.

1. livingpah2004 profile image76
      livingpah2004posted 5 years agoin reply to this

I agree with Christin63 that Aspirin is not for children under 16-17.

5. profile image0
    Starmom41posted 5 years ago

anyone under 21 years of age should not take aspirin

6. xanzacow profile image70
    xanzacowposted 5 years ago

I second christens answer. Any pediatrician will tell you to use acetaminophen or ibuprofen for fever or pain. Only if it is prescribed should you give a child aspirin.

7. pedagog profile image81
    pedagogposted 5 years ago

I don't know its side effects, but more important is children should kept away from medicines, especially in minor pain, swelling and fever. we should trust god and our immune system. medicines resist development of children's immune system and may effect major internal organs. you can get satisfactory answer at http://ilmnamoti.com/index_files/Page491.htm

1. pedagog profile image81
      pedagogposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I haven't given my 4 years child any type of medicine till now in normal pain or fever.

8. profile image0
    Larry Wallposted 5 years ago

Everyone is correct that you should not give aspirin to children. However, there are some exceptions. I will not try to list them because I am not a doctor. This is an issue you need to discuss with your pediatrician. If  the child needs aspirin, it will probably be in a hospital setting. Get professional advice.

9. TDAPharm profile image82
    TDAPharmposted 5 years ago

Overall as most have mentioned, aspirin is not warranted for analgesia or antipyretic uses in children. However, in a few disease states, it can be used, such as Kawasaki Disease. The use thus, is limited to a prescriber/caregiver direction and not recommended for simple OTC use, as there are much safer alternatives.