Running training periods

1. LailaK profile image77
    LailaKposted 5 years ago

Running training periods

About how long did it take you to train to be able to run for 20 minutes without stopping or walking?

2. prospectboy profile image90
    prospectboyposted 5 years ago

After being in shape for years and then getting out of shape, I used the "Couch to 5K running program" to get back into shape again last year. By the time you get to week 5 I believe, you have a 20 minute run. After doing that I knew I was able to run 20 minutes or more without stopping. So to answer the question, I would say around 5 weeks for me.

3. Jeani Nugent profile image77
    Jeani Nugentposted 5 years ago

Having had 3 degenerative discs in my back, I have never been a runner. After surgery a little over a year ago to fuse these discs I decided to give running a try. I also used the Couch to 5K and LOVED it! It took me about 5 weeks to get to the 20 minutes mark, I followed the program pretty close even when I thought I could maybe do more as I didn't want to get burned out. I will say after week 7 though when it was just runs without recovery walks between I went out on my own and started just pushing thru to finish a 5K. So at week 7 I ran 3.2 miles without stopping. I am excited to be running my first official 5K race this weekend smile

working