Is there a way to quit smokeless tobacco without pills, patches, or gum?

1. Tj Michalenko profile image60
    Tj Michalenkoposted 5 years ago

Is there a way to quit smokeless tobacco without pills, patches, or gum?

I have tried many times to quit dipping but I always come back to it. Usually because of stress. I usually do not crave it when I quit, but it is more of a crutch.  Is finding a better way of dealing with stress the answer?

2. Larry Fields profile image80
    Larry Fieldsposted 5 years ago

Good question. Yes, stress management is a piece of the puzzle. However there's another seldom-discussed aspect that applies specifically to men.

The nicotine in tobacco mimics the hormone, Testosterone. For middle-aged men with declining "T" levels, nicotine is a form of self-medication. Fortunately, there's a natural way to boost "T" levels.

Peak-output squats increase "T" in younger men (and probably in middle-aged men as well). There's an article about that in the Journal of Applied Physiology. The young guys in that study did jump-squats.

The main part of the article is pay-walled. But you can read the abstract for free.

Although I don't use tobacco in any form, I do one-leg squats every day for general health and well-being.

Best wishes.

1. Tj Michalenko profile image60
      Tj Michalenkoposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Larry thanks for the response. I have never heard of that before and I appreciate you pointing me in a direction for some reading on the material.

working