jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)

How do you help a person who is fearful of talking in small groups and in front

1. Janellegems profile image67
    Janellegemsposted 5 years ago

How do you help a person who is fearful of talking in small groups and in front of an audience?

What are some tips to bring them out of that fear?

2. lisasuniquevoice profile image76
    lisasuniquevoiceposted 5 years ago

Janellegems,

I wrote a hub about public speaking some time ago  The most important tip I touched on, is to know your subject so well that even if you drop your note cards you'll be able to go right on without them. It's about being able to be conversational about your subject matter. The more you can do this the less you'll experience a case of the nerves. A speaker can just talk as if he or she were talking to a friend about something interesting, and soon they will forget about being judged by the audience. Everything will just come out smooth.

Lisa

Janellegemsposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for your insights in this subject. This really helps. I will look at your hub on public speaking.

3. chef-de-jour profile image95
    chef-de-jourposted 5 years ago

It depends on the circumstances. If the person is a student and has to do presentations in class then a friend could help them rehearse, say starting 1:1 then building up slowly with a few more friends. If that person is naturally shy then there are exercises to go through that will help build self esteem.
    Fear can be conquered by:

1. Having the speech or topic clearly written down on card or paper.
    2. Rehearsing the speech or talk over to a small group of friends or famly.
    3. Keeping positive thoughts in the mind...eg talk to one, talk to many.
    4. Accepting that nerves are natural and most people have them.
    5. Gradually building up confidence by taking small steps here and there - talk to a stranger in a store/shop, help someone.
    6. Reassuring yourself that nothing can go wrong.

Janellegemsposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Very Helpful ideas.  Thank you so much for responding.

working