jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (4 posts)

Why do some people seem to attract bugs?

1. fitmom profile image83
    fitmomposted 5 years ago

Why do some people seem to attract bugs?

I've always gotten bit by bugs like crazy and other people that are in the same place get no bug bites. People always said it must mean I'm really sweet. I've always hated this characteristic, but now my daughter suffers from the same thing. Anyone have any scientific or informed knowledge as to why this happens to some people and not others?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/6972192_f260.jpg

2. profile image59
    Takeittopiecesposted 5 years ago

Well the answer to this question has a lot to do with the insect in question.  In the case of mosquitoes there are a couple of factors none of which have anything to do with how "sweet" one smells.  Mosquitoes are primarily lead to prey by the carbon dioxide trail we leave both when we exhale as well as what is expelled from our skin, it stands to reason that someone with well exfoliated skin free from harsh chemicals would smell like a meal.

1. fitmom profile image83
      fitmomposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Huh. That's really interesting! I've never researched it, but I knew there had to be a reason. I do exfoliate and use gentle products. I'm not going to sacrifice my skin's health to not get bug bites. I'll just have to spritz more citrus spray on. smile

3. profile image51
    Yonder Moonposted 5 years ago

I remember once reading something that suggested that mosquitos prefer taking blood from blonde people, though I don't know if there's any science behind that. I think that there are natural, nice-smelling perfume sprays you can get to repell insects from you - I saw some in the Boots magazine once.

working