jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (7 posts)

Do you thing BBQ food causes cancer?

1. suzzycue profile image93
    suzzycueposted 5 years ago

Do you thing BBQ food causes cancer?

I miss BBQ food but maybe that is a good thing. Do you think the smoke from these foods cause cancer?

2. TheKatsMeow profile image89
    TheKatsMeowposted 5 years ago

I have heard that eating any food that is blackened is bad for you... like BBQ and burnt toast. There is a chemical in them that has been linked to cancer. I don't think it's from the smoke, I think it just happens with cooked food, and the more cooked (blackened) a food gets the higher the amount of the carcinogenic chemical. I would say that eating fried foods and BBQ in moderation is ok, everything in moderate amounts is ok for you.

1. Sophia-LeAnne profile image61
      Sophia-LeAnneposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I've heard this too that BBq is not healthy but neither is something burnt to a crisp in the oven or stove top.

3. freecampingaussie profile image59
    freecampingaussieposted 5 years ago

We cook on our BBQ 1-2 a week and love it as the food taste extra nice . There are warnings all the time for diferent foods etc so we just eat in moderation and not worry about it . You would have a heart attack from stress if we took notice of everything that we were told !

4. jennyjenny profile image60
    jennyjennyposted 5 years ago

Blackened or charred meat is usually the cause of concern for grilled foods when they are linked to cancer. There is no clear evidence, but cooking meat at the high temperatures you use to grill—as well as broil and fry—creates heterocyclic amines (HCAs) and polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs), compounds linked with some cancers. 
         The general consensus that I have read about says that the risk is quite low as compared to other risk factors like being overweight by 30 lbs, or not exercising.  If you are generally concerned though, you can take measures to help reduce the chances, for example, grill fish and vegetables, trim the excess fat to prevent drips onto the coals and flare ups.  Probably most importantly eat a variety of fruits and vegetables especially cruciferious veggies, like broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage etc...they help remove these compounds quickly from your body and reduce your risk. 
         If you still prefer meats and poultry like I do, there is hope.  Flavor meats with marinades and rubs. Research in the Journal of Agriculture and Food Chemistry showed that marinating red meat in beer or wine for two hours significantly reduced HCAs. Scientists believe the antioxidants in these marinades block HCAs from forming.  Kansas State University study found that rubbing rosemary, an herb known for its high level of antioxidants, onto meats before grilling cut HCA levels by up to 100 percent. Herbs including basil, mint, sage and oregano may have similar effects. 
         I wouldn't give up grilled food for the world.  I hope this helps.  smile  I say enjoy it.

5. kj force profile image72
    kj forceposted 5 years ago

It's not the BBQ food that causes the cancer...however..the process of materials used to cook, like the products used to start the fire and the material to keep it burning. ( wood,chips,fuel)..BBQ is a slow cooking process, and is done in a confined space (lid closed) so the meat is permeated..many chemicals are the reason for " awakening" the cells to change and become cancerous.
    Smoking meats has been done for years, but it's the ingredients used , not necessarily the process..There have been many changes in the way animals are fed and what they're fed over the years it's hard tp pinpoint anything.
    just my opinion..

1. suzzycue profile image93
      suzzycueposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I agree with you kj force. That is why they took the bricketts/ charcoal out of gas barbeques.