What is the difference symtpom-wise of a benign ovarian cyst and ovarian cancer?

1. angela_michelle profile image98
    angela_michelleposted 5 years ago

What is the difference symtpom-wise of a benign ovarian cyst and ovarian cancer?

I have nine centimeter cyst and I'm trying to find out if its possibly ovarian cancer, because I don't see my doctor until next Thursday. I try to find the differences in the symptoms, but I have not been successful thus far.

2. StandingJaguar profile image79
    StandingJaguarposted 5 years ago

I can't directly answer your question but there is a pretty good chance that the cyst is benign. Ovaries inherently contain fluid-filled sacks, and there are several reasons one of them might inflame into a cyst, even a nine inch one. Hormones are often the culprit. My mother, grandmother, and great-grandmother all developed a cyst on an ovary that needed removing, but all were benign. PCOS is no longer a rare problem, and this is not a cancerous condition.

3. profile image0
    Tina Trueloveposted 5 years ago

I am not a medical doctor but I can describe to you my own personal experience with this problem.

I have chronic ovarian cysts, some of them very large, and they tend to rupture. The symptoms of ruptured ovarian cysts do mimic the symptoms of ovarian cancer, both causing the abdomen to fill with fluid. The last time I suffered a ruptured cyst, my abdomen filled with a tremendous amount of fluid.  My doctor became concerned so we ran a blood test for ovarian cancer screening. He also had me come back in after two weeks to determine if the fluid was increasing or decreasing. He explained that no change or an increase in abdominal fluid would indicate ovarian cancer, even if the blood test screening was normal so we would have do run more extensive tests. A decrease in abdominal fluid would indicate that I had suffered nothing more than a cyst and the fluid and the pain would eventually subside. The fluid decreased and the blood tests was normal. I go through this every few months, but I am trying to avoid surgery. I did ask my doctor if chronic ovarian cysts would make me more likely to develop ovarian cancer.  He told me "no." He said they are two separate problems, but the symptoms are so similar that accurate diagnosis would remain a concern. So, we just continue watch carefully and I have to endure a couple of ultrasounds per year. You should not worry about this, but you should make sure you are diagnosed accurately. Don't be afraid to ask a lot of questions and ask for blood work and ultrasounds if it will give you peace of mind. Early detection of ovarian is your best chance at survival.

Again, you can get answers online all day long, but the only way to know for certain is to discuss your symptoms in detail with your doctor and ask for the tests.

I'm sure all will turn out OK.  smile