jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (4 posts)

Paleo Diet?

1. ThompsonPen profile image78
    ThompsonPenposted 5 years ago

Paleo Diet?

Can someone explain this to me and why it is so popular? I looked into it, and the main thing that stuck out to me was the excessive amount of meat consumed and saturated fat. When I was learning about Nutrition, I was under the impression that saturated fat was the bad fat, and you wanted to stick to mmonounsaturated fats, with maybe 5% saturated and 5% poliunsaturated. What's the appeal?

2. strkngfang profile image78
    strkngfangposted 5 years ago

This diet is extremely difficult to maintain, even more so than a gluten free diet.  Paleo or "caveman" diet consists of Meats, fruits, vegetables, nuts & seeds.  You still have to watch your intake of meat, because too much is harmful.  Unless you can mainly live and  be happy off of salads, this won't work for you.  I'm a celiac and staying gluten free is hard enough, but with this diet you can't have any grains at all, no rice, corn, etc.  I think it is popular because it is the "flavor of the week" just like Atkinsons, South Beach etc.  Nobody stays on these long term, unless it is a health issue like celiac disease.

1. ThompsonPen profile image78
      ThompsonPenposted 5 years agoin reply to this

i agree that it is a fad diet. The thing people also neglect to take into consider is that we don't live like we did then. We're far lazier. Back then they were going out and foraging and hunting their food. We get a ride to the grocery store.

3. FreeFly07 profile image61
    FreeFly07posted 5 years ago

I think that this diet is so popular because it keeps people away from all the processed foods of our days. And I think that's the main idea - to eat food just as it comes from mother nature, without any preservatives or other chemicals.