jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

Which is a greater challenge in life, to be young and inexperienced or older and

1. INFJay profile image80
    INFJayposted 5 years ago

Which is a greater challenge in life, to be young and inexperienced or older and experienced?

2. tlmcgaa70 profile image78
    tlmcgaa70posted 5 years ago

i have always believed the more you know the more you realize you have yet to learn. there will always be someone older and more experienced than you...and there will always be those who just think they know more. being young and inexperienced is hard. its hard for the one who thinks they know something...and its hard for the one who really does. sometimes someone who is "young and inexperienced" can know more about something than and older counterpart. being older and more experienced can also be hard, because you know how much you dont know. i think both are equally challenging. each for its own reasons.

3. Globetrekkermel profile image79
    Globetrekkermelposted 5 years ago

I agree with TLMCGAA70, both stages in life have its own unique  challenges.It is difficult to compare as the challenges when you are young are not the same challenges you face when you are older .

4. Beege215e profile image67
    Beege215eposted 5 years ago

If you are smart enough and lucky enough to survive young and inexperienced then hopefully you can acquire older and experienced.  It is therefore the challenge to survive young and stupid (whoops ) inexperienced.  My bad.   Just because I did it and I have gotten older and more experienced  doesn't mean that I don't say stupid things.

5. profile image0
    Moeskyposted 5 years ago

I agree with what's been said so far, but I would add that being young has advantages of full vigor, enthusiasm, naïvety, and a lack of negative conditioning, which all helps to carry you through challenges without care. The big challenge when you're older is not to lose these traits.

6. Dorothee-Gy profile image71
    Dorothee-Gyposted 5 years ago

I would say, life is always challenging, at every step along the way. In your youth, the challenge is added to by the inexperience and insufficient overview, later in life it is added to by the knowledge about the endedness of existence in this human body. When you're young, some things can seem intimidating and hard to master, when you're older they might not seem as intimidating anymore, but you know you only have this many years to accomplish them.

Plus, you have to deal with a body that might not be as strong anymore as it was and that already has a few limitations, so the time seems to be even shorter, as you're not 100% sure if you can exert the same amount of energy as you did when you were younger.

7. studentsage profile image61
    studentsageposted 5 years ago

Youth is amazing, and I think kids really do have it better. They're so free and I doubt they think of themselves as inexperienced. No matter where you are in life, it's hard to feel a sense of where you are and where you should be in terms of experience. I think that kids, with their inexperienced minds, probably have it easier.

It depends on the person, but as you grow and learn everything turns a different color, and you can't help seeing the hate and danger in a lot of things. You know more about the things that can go wrong and you have more responsibility. There's definitely a freedom in action that kids don't have, but adults' minds start to constrain to certain things and it's hard to change that.

8. philli profile image84
    philliposted 5 years ago

I think that in American society, older and experienced is more challenging. Firstly, because people see the age before they consider the experience. In our fast-moving society we often assume our seniors are out of touch or dinosaurs. Assumptions are made that they just aren't as sharp as they used to be. Meanwhile, we look at the young inexperienced new graduate as full of life and energy (the experience can be taught, right?). Also, experience demands more pay and what hiring manager wants to do that in this economy? wink

I think in other countries where old age is regarded with respect it is the complete opposite.

working