jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (9 posts)

Does that www.lumosity.com site really help improve your brain?

1. Laura Schneider profile image91
    Laura Schneiderposted 4 years ago

Does that www.lumosity.com site really help improve your brain?

I see all these ads for "Lumosity" and how good it supposedly is for you, making your mind sharper and helping you think and learn faster. Has anyone tried it? Does it work? Have any scientific studies been done by unbiased 3rd parties (i.e. not the company that makes Lumosity) on a statistically significant number of people with statistically significant results? Thanks!

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/6041540_f260.jpg

2. duffsmom profile image59
    duffsmomposted 4 years ago

I tried their free trial and while I am no expert at this kind of thing, it seemed to me no different than playing games on Facebook --simple, uncomplicated guessing games.  It was fun but not worth the subscription fee in my opinion.

Laura Schneiderposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, duffsmom! That was my impression, too, but I wanted some other inputs before recommending/not recommending it to my aging parents. Cheers!

3. Dr Billy Kidd profile image92
    Dr Billy Kiddposted 4 years ago

Nothing works better to improve mental functioning than fish oil (omega 3 fat) along with an enzyme capsule (to aid digestion). Brain neurons are composed largely of DHA, which is found in fish oil. Also, serotonin (5 HTP) capsules help the hippocampus grow. That allows short term memory (what we remember about the immediate present) to translate better into long term memory.

Luminosity, on the other hand, is a composed of mind games that help you to keep track of things. I tell people to do the fish oil and enzymes, along with the 5 HTP, and then enroll in an online degree program (if they need some great mind games that actually lead somewhere).

Thanks Dr. Billy Kidd! While going back to college (especially online) won't work for my parents, the supplements are worth trying. Cheers!

2. Dr Billy Kidd profile image92
      Dr Billy Kiddposted 4 years agoin reply to this

If you are concerned about Alzheimer's Disease: it is caused by a plague... or debris ... that gets left in the brain. And early treatment by an expert can slow the pace of its development but there is no cure. Brain exercises to little.to help.

4. lburmaster profile image84
    lburmasterposted 4 years ago

I don't know if it really helps but I love using it. It cost a lump sum though that I don't want to spend that kind of money so I just signed up for it, did the three day progress, then use the six games that you don't need to pay for. But working out your brain is supposed to prevent Alzheimers, so I'm keeping with it.

That's what I was wondering: if it help prevent Alzheimers, senility, or even just boredom. As my parents age, that worries me... I'll tell them about it and that there are six games that you don't need to pay for. Thanks, Iburmaster!

5. brakel2 profile image83
    brakel2posted 4 years ago

I think it helps keep your brain sharp. You have to think quickly to answer which bird is out of sync with other birds, as it is timed. A reliable medical website indicated no proof exist that brain games help. It definitely cures any brain overload or brain fog when I play those fast games.

working