jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)

What can be done for chronic hives?

1. Claudia Marie profile image73
    Claudia Marieposted 4 years ago

What can be done for chronic hives?

2. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 4 years ago

The combination of Zantac (ranitidine) and Zyrtec (cetirizine) helps many people, although you may need to double the regular Zyrtec dose to 10 mg twice a day for decent relief. The Zantac you take should be at least 150 mg twice a day.

In addition to this, some people benefit from 10 to 20 mg of doxepin before bed. Doxepin is an antidepressant when taken at higher doses, but at lower doses acts as a strong antihistamine. It is very sedating however, and some people feel groggy in the morning. Another antihistamine that can be helpful is hydroxyzine, taken at a dosage of 25 mg every six to eight hours if needed, although it is also sedating.

Claudia Marieposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for your input .

3. Kathleen Cochran profile image82
    Kathleen Cochranposted 4 years ago

Make sure your doctor knows and checks any medications you are taking.  I put up with hives for almost a year.  I casually mentioned it to my cardiologist, literally on the way out the door, and he immediately changed my medications.  It never occurred to me that medicine I'd been taking for years could suddenly cause hives.  My resistance just finally broke down.

Claudia Marieposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Thank  you for sharing your personal experience.

working