jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (7 posts)

What do you think about the failure of the Obamacare web site?

1. Smireles profile image77
    Smirelesposted 4 years ago

What do you think about the failure of the Obamacare web site?

Just wondering what the community thinks about this web site failure. I am really shocked that they did not pull it off. Have used many government sites and they generally work well.

2. dashingscorpio profile image87
    dashingscorpioposted 4 years ago

No much! The government is notorious for not doing well with implementing new programs. George W. Bush had a ton of issues with his Medicare Part D prescription plan. Only time will tell if Obamacare will be embraced like other huge programs similar to how Social Security and Medicare are now seen as "sacred cows".
    Today's "controversies" have a way of becoming historical fodder over time. I remember the heated discussions over the government adding fluoride to drinking water! During Y2K planes were going to fall out of the sky and computers around the world were going to shut down. It seems the media and politicians are constantly looking for ways to infuse fear into us. We get worked up over things we have no control over even when we are (personally) doing fine.

Smirelesposted 4 years agoin reply to this

You are certainly right about the Y2K fiasco. I worked at a hospital in the Texas Medical Center at the time and the drills were awful. I was working on NY Eve that year and waiting for computers to fail. Everything crossed over without a glitch.

3. junkseller profile image84
    junksellerposted 4 years ago

What they are doing is a pretty significant undertaking, so I wouldn't have been surprised if they had a few issues. I was, however, surprised that they couldn't even do the simple things. Simply registering people to a website is about a basic of a task as there is, and they even managed to flub that.

Also, there is a lot riding on this website and the larger program. I think if I were Obama I would have made it known that the site had better work or else, yet, publicly there has been no such demonstration from him (who knows what has gone on behind the scenes), but everyone involved seems a bit too placid if you ask me. I find that a little surprising as well.

As for it being a failure, well, it isn't. It just isn't on budget or on time, but that isn't terribly unusual for government technology projects. When the site is working it is actually a decent site, and for me, it has been working just fine lately.

Perhaps I should have said, the failure so far. The web site will eventually be up and running. I can't imagine how it could not. It seems to cost far too much money, though.

4. cmoneyspinner1tf profile image87
    cmoneyspinner1tfposted 4 years ago

I think HHS and other cognizant and involved parties had real valid reasons that they could point to and blame for the failure.  They won't have to resign and lose their jobs over it.  It wasn't that big of a deal.  I mean ... like if you compare it to FEMA's handling of a disaster.

Also, you are right.  Many government websites do work well.  But they were probably not built and put into operation while working through controversy, protests and legal battles.  In other words, their energy was not divided and they could be fully committed to the task.

Finally ... real valid reasons are not the same as lame excuses.

Thanks for a thoughtful comment. Having 2 times been through FEMA disaster handing I know that FEMA regs are the problem...NOT the director. People think they will get more than the law allows. Appalling.