jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Do I need to have a root canal just because I have to have a crown?

1. profile image35
    DigraziaJohnposted 4 years ago

Do I need to have a root canal just because I have to have a crown?

2. dashingscorpio profile image87
    dashingscorpioposted 4 years ago

Generally speaking  you don't want to have a live nerve in that area before going through the procedure of inputting your crown. Some people who opted not to have a root canal reported having extreme sensitivity when eating. Crowns may be applied after a root canal treatment to seal the tooth and prevent it from breaking.
    Having said that some dentists have tooth by tooth approach as to whether to perform a root canal or not. Root canal is done when decay will likely (damage) or has already (killed) a tooth. For additional information read:http://www.webmd.com/oral-health/root-canal-treatment-18055

3. Barbara Kay profile image89
    Barbara Kayposted 4 years ago

No you don't need a root canal unless the root of the tooth is infected from the decay. I have several crowns without root canals. You don't want a root canal unless you need one. It is expensive and not necessary if the root isn't involved.

4. Dr Arsalan1989 profile image61
    Dr Arsalan1989posted 3 years ago

To have a crown on non endodontic treated tooth is question of debate first you have to tell that whether your tooth is healthy or it is carious ( decayed)?
    If it is healthy than you can have crown but if it is decayed Little bit I recommend you to have root canal.

working