What are sensible things to do to prepare for a likely ice storm?

1. Tom Vogler profile image82
    Tom Voglerposted 4 years ago

What are sensible things to do to prepare for a likely ice storm?

2. Pamela N Red profile image86
    Pamela N Redposted 4 years ago

I've been through a few of these that knocks down power lines leaving us without electricity for a few days and even one time for a couple of weeks.

Some people buy and keep a generator on hand but these take up space, require gasoline and are loud. I personally don't own one.

What I have are gas logs in my fireplace for heat if the electricity goes out. I made sure we didn't have electronic ignition because without electric it won't work. You can use real wood but make sure you have plenty on hand just in case.

I also have a cupboard full of candles. When the lights go out it smells like a candle shop at my house but at least we can see. You can get battery operated lanterns but you'll have to make sure the batteries are good.

I keep a battery operated radio on hand with batteries stored nearby. The reason for this: batteries can leak over time. If kept outside the device they keep longer.

You will need to figure out a way to prepare food. I have a gas stove so I can cook on the stove top. (The oven requires electricity.) Without power your refrigerator won't work which means the food inside will go bad quickly so you'll want to eat the most perishable first.

You can keep canned or dried foods on hand like jerky, fruit and vegetables that can be prepared when the power lines are down.

If you have a freezer in your garage and the temperatures stay low your frozen food will keep but if it warms up that food will need to be eaten.

We camp out in the living room since we don't have heat at the back of the house. I've put blankets over the doorways to keep the heat in the living room. I put down sleeping bags and blankets for sleeping.

You learn to be creative when you have to.

working