jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (5 posts)

Why are personal hubs not classified as "quality hubs?"

1. Nicole DiLuzio profile image60
    Nicole DiLuzioposted 4 years ago

Why are personal hubs not classified as "quality hubs?"

I have personal experience dealing with a nation wide illness, depression. I am 19 years old and have intentions on inspiring people to stop ignorance of depression and receive more acceptance. I want to help educate on a sensitive subject that I could best get my points across with a personal hub. Why would this make my hub less quality?

2. Rev. Akins profile image76
    Rev. Akinsposted 4 years ago

I looked in the FAQ site and they mentioned trying to make it look more like an article in a magazine or some such thing. I read your hub and it seems to me that it is close to that. I am SO not in charge, but I would offer this as a thought.
    1) Keep writing about it. Please. I have suffered from depression for most of my life now and something needs to be changed. The nation does not like talking about mental illness and many people are afraid of the stigma involved.
    2) Don't be discouraged by one hub. If you are truly passionate about this topic, find other ways to keep talking and writing about it. Hub pages talks about finding your niche and making them "evergreen" (something that can be read no matter what the month or season).
    Your hub seemed pretty good to me, I am not sure why it was marked the way it was, but keep adjusting it, add more photos or videos, try re-formatting what you already have. But please, do not stop. Use your voice and bring out your thoughts. We need more people to talk about depression and mental illness until everyone realizes this is a problem that will not just go away.

1. Nicole DiLuzio profile image60
      Nicole DiLuzioposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Thank you so much, the encouragement has given me even more motivation to educating this world on the severity of an illness that no one likes to talk about.. Thank you for the advice as stay tuned for my next hub, I feel like you will enjoy it.

3. ChristinS profile image96
    ChristinSposted 4 years ago

I looked at a couple of your hubs.  It's not just writing that can be classified as low quality.  Your writing is good, but you also need to ensure you are using images with permission and citing them appropriately - or use your own original images.  This can get you flagged for quality too. 

Also, putting personal stories into a hub is fine, if you have some credible information or studies or whatever to back them up.  If you are doing hubs on depression, I would suggest using your personal experiences and combining that with other tips and advice. 

Personal hubs that tend to be marked as "low quality" are ones that are more like opinion pieces - say a rant about religion, politics etc, but no actual factual info to back up the claims etc.  There's a difference between using personal experience in an educational way - or just spouting off smile.  That's where quality concerns lie with some things. 

I use personal stories and experiences in many of my hubs - how to hubs for example, but I also am giving practical knowledge about the topic too. 

Hope this helps smile

4. Nicole DiLuzio profile image60
    Nicole DiLuzioposted 4 years ago

Thank you for the advice, and I do plan on mixing personal experience with educational facts! That is my intention, educating people on a subject like depression to reduce stigmas and I know in order for people to understand, I must explain what it is in the first place. Thanks again!

working