jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)

Elliptical vs. Treadmill

1. LCDWriter profile image96
    LCDWriterposted 4 years ago

Elliptical vs. Treadmill

My family is considering getting either an elliptical or a treadmill for exercise.  We had a treadmill in the past that finally wore out and were considering replacing it.  But while shopping we also noticed the ellipticals.  If you were purchasing one for exercise, which woud you purchase and why?

2. JMcFarland profile image87
    JMcFarlandposted 4 years ago

I always prefer an elliptical to a treadmill because while they're both aerobic exercises, the elliptical focuses more on a full-body approach.  It works more leg muscles than a simple walking motion, and tends to burn more calories than a treadmill that even has an incline feature.  We have an exercise bike at home as well as an elliptical/gazelle and I enjoy them much more than a treadmill.  When focusing on exercise that fools the body into burning more calories, a treadmill can often be predictable, while a more complex workout can often have a much greater overall result.

LCDWriterposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Thank you.  I appreciate you sharing your experience.   This really helps.

3. The Examiner-1 profile image75
    The Examiner-1posted 4 years ago

I had originally thought of getting the treadmill for walking flat - since you can walk flat, or choose various grades of inclines. Then the elliptical came out.
    After reviewing the two, I found the pros and cons of both and it was hard to decide.

Treadmill: You can walk or run, flat/incline. It has pros - but it has cons such as stressing your joints and it does not work out your arms. Walking (flat) is good for you, running can tear muscles, etc.

Elliptical: Works out arms, legs and various other muscles. It has pros - but it also has cons such as lacks weight bearing effect to build bones.
    I would have bought both - if I could have afforded it, LOL.
    Then they came out with a combo. Now they may have more than one.

Best answer: Ask doctor which is best for you. He may say neither.

LCDWriterposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for your thoughts on this.  We are leaning elliptical right now.

working