jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Is second hand vapor from e cigarettes dangerous?

1. cyoung35 profile image87
    cyoung35posted 3 years ago

Is second hand vapor from e cigarettes dangerous?

There is much debate about the second hand effects of e cigarettes but no real evidence or proof that it is harmful. It has to be better than regular cigarette smoke but what are the dangers of second hand e cigarette vapor?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/8847491_f260.jpg

2. LaryssaGeorge profile image72
    LaryssaGeorgeposted 3 years ago

I don't think anyone has the answer to that question yet. Officially anyway. There's a few things involved with e-cigs. 1- Is the liquid or e-juice made in America? And, does it contain nicotine or other additives. There are many options available and unless you know exactly what the person using the e-cig is "vaping" (not smoking) it would be difficulty to know exactly what is being put into the air.
    That said, my husband quit smoking and went to vaping last year and I can say it doesn't bother anyone around him that I have noticed.

3. bethperry profile image92
    bethperryposted 3 years ago

Not that I have heard of. My daughter's fiancee smokes one and it never bothers anyone.

4. robie2 profile image96
    robie2posted 3 years ago

There is no real evidence about lots of things when it comes to e cigarettes because so little research has been done, but time will tell the story.  After all, for 50 years the medical and scientific communities instisted that smoking tobacco was not addictive and was even good for you.... and Big Tobacco is still resisting the fact that cigarette smoking causes lung cancer.

That said, certainly the vapor from e-cigs seems less harmful than cigarette smoke both to smokers and innocent bystanders, but the fact is that the vapor contains chemicals... mainly, propylene glycol.  Propylene glycal is used as a solvent and emulsifier in pharmaceuticals and in such diverse products as airport de-icers, massage oil, hand sanitizers and anti-freeze. Its effect in large amounts on human beings over time is not known at the moment, but like I said-- time will probably tell.

working