jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (4 posts)

I wake myself up with a back ache.

1. Foodeee profile image76
    Foodeeeposted 4 years ago

I wake myself up with a back ache.

I bought a firmer mattress as per my doctors suggestion. I go to sleep laying on my back in bed but through the night I always seem to turn on my side. My back will hurt so bad it will wake me up. Any idea why its hurts my back to sleep on my side? I am heavier guy in my 40's. Why in world do I turn on my side while sleeping? How can I solve any of these problems? Thanks!

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/8888224_f260.jpg

2. profile image0
    Dave36posted 4 years ago

Put 2 pillows or 1 large pillow in between your legs when you sleep on your side buddy, that will help stop your spine twisting during your sleep..Walk where ever you can as opposed to driving, & after a walk do some light stretching..Try some diaphragmatic breathing exercises, & always bend at the knees when picking anything up..Get in the habit of good posture, & lifting carrying properly every time..It's no good only doing it when we have a bad back, so be conscious of how you sit & lift etc..If you can start looking after your back as i suggested in your every day life, you can then move on to some core strength exercises..Even if your just picking a pen up off the floor, you have to get down on one knee or crouch down to pick it up..Never just bend over to pick anything up, as you will have your whole upper body weight straining on your lower back..If you are over weight maybe get nasty with it, & start getting into shape..I would say that if you have the spare cash, it would be a very good idea to see a chiropractor, & get some professional advice..It's not a waste of money at all, & will probably be the best money you ever spent..

1. Foodeee profile image76
      Foodeeeposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Thank you, you answer is full of wonderful advise. Most of which, I hate!!! LOL  I hate walking. The task seems droll and boring. I know its good for me. I always lift with my back. I have my whole life. I do have pretty good posture.

2. profile image0
      Dave36posted 4 years agoin reply to this

Go for a walk & practice mindful meditating as you do it, obviously google mindful meditating to get the "gist" of it first..Apart from sex walking is the best thing a person can do, & mindful meditating is the best thing a person could ever

working