jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (9 posts)

How long before my body stops being so sore and stiff. I recently returned to th

1. Arachnea profile image77
    Arachneaposted 3 years ago

How long before my body stops being so sore and stiff. I recently returned to the gym after 20+ yrs.

I've been away from the gym scene for some time. When I used to go, I didn't worry about soreness because it went away within a day and only occurred when I increased weights or sets. Now it seems that even with doing only 1 set for each station and tolerable weights, I'm sore and stiff for days and it doesn't abate for my next gym visit. How long should I allow this to be the case before thinking something is seriously wrong?

2. profile image0
    christiananrkistposted 3 years ago

it could last a good month, if you have been away that long. whatever you do, dont stop going. keep on a regular schedule. maybe a monday, wednesday, friday routine. use your off days to do very cardio (like walking or do some fun activity) and light stretching after your workouts. you may also be going too hard. go light your first month. increase very slow. there's no rush. as long as youre always progressing and staying in good form with all your workouts, the soreness will decrease.

Arachneaposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the encouragement. I have a bad habit of blowing off the stretching. I bet that will help. I could always use more cardio for exercise.

3. Lady Lorelei profile image85
    Lady Loreleiposted 3 years ago

I just wanted to say congratulations on your move to a healthier you. You can reduce the achyness a little by soaking your body in epsom salts. They contain magnesium and this works to help ease muscle aches and pains from exercise. Another tip is that the 6th day will be the most sensitive so plan for a lighter routine on the 6th day. Good luck with your fitness routine.

Thank you. I hadn't thought about epsom salts. I'll keep that in mind about the 6th day. I appreciate your comments.

4. teaches12345 profile image96
    teaches12345posted 3 years ago

I remember when I started working out three years ago.  Oh the pain!  I think every muscle ached for quite some time before they adjusted to the stretching and pulling. With every increase of weight, muscles would react differently and at times ached severely. Take it easy if the pain is unbearable, cut back and approach it in stages.  It will take time but keep positive and don't give up.

Thank you. I discovered that a stop at the stretching station helps with the soreness. I tend to bypass it in favor of getting home after working out. I'm working my way up from 12 reps to 15 reps before moving on to two sets for each station.

5. lafleurdeplume profile image60
    lafleurdeplumeposted 3 years ago

Stretch, stretch stretch!!  And, the more you work out, the easier time your body will have in adapting to the new stresses you are putting on it.  Forget that "no pain, no gain" mantra... when you are in good shape, you do not need to hurt in order to work your muscles.  After a season of training (2-3 months) I can easily run up to 15 miles with no muscle soreness at all... but... if I were to try running that distance after a long break I would be a hurting unit!

The best advice I can offer is to gradually increase your fitness goals, drink copious amounts of water to cleanse your system, and stretch before and after every work out.

Thank you for the advice. I do need to drink more water and less tea and coffee. One step at a time, I suppose. I didn't realize how much stretching can ease the soreness until I started doing so at the end of each workout.

working