jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (5 posts)

Pro's and Con's of legalising cannabis/marijuanna

1. AndrewHil93 profile image44
    AndrewHil93posted 3 years ago

Pro's and Con's of legalising cannabis/marijuanna

I'm from the United Kingdom, where cannabis (what we call the Mary Jane) is illegal. It is my understanding that in several US states, crime rate has dropped in some places by 50% since legalising it.

What are the pros and cons of legalisation?

**PLease note: I am not endorsing drug use, this is a discussion point only.**

2. profile image0
    Stargrrlposted 3 years ago

Cons would be people abusing the chance to buy weed.  People who don't smoke it, would smoke it if it were legal.  Then they would get behind the wheel of a car and drive.  Or get addicted to it.  Children would be second hand-smoking it.  Then you would have them smoking it in public places, or just reeking of it. 

A pro would be that people who need it for medical reasons would be able to have it.  Another thought: Perhaps people (like teens) wouldn't be that into buying it if it were legal.  Kind of like the 21 year olds who don't get excited about being able to drink legally, because doing it illegally was part of the fun in the first place.  Maybe teens would lose interest in marijuana.

1. AndrewHil93 profile image44
      AndrewHil93posted 3 years agoin reply to this

Brilliant answer!

3. The0NatureBoy profile image47
    The0NatureBoyposted 3 years ago

There are no Cons, only Pros for hemp's use.  You see, any natural growing plants are provided for all lives to user without oversight form others.  Hemp and Cannabis is one such plant, Mari Juana you call Mary Jane is a smuggler's code name which is the only reason it is still illegal in some places. 

The US Constitution grants all man -- our specie's name -- liberty and the Declaration of Independence say it is man's unalienable right to things which will assist them in their living.  Not smoking it but it has many health benefits when eaten without adding heat to it and it's steams can be made into cloth, thus, we have the right to grow, eat and make cloth of it just because it is environmentally produced.

4. M. T. Dremer profile image96
    M. T. Dremerposted 3 years ago

It certainly seems like there are more pros than cons. On the pro side it increases tax revenue for the state, removes the burden of non-violent criminals from our prisons, has been proven to be a less damaging vice than alcohol and it can create jobs within the United States. As far as I can tell the only con is its stigma. It's been an illegal drug for so long that it has a bit of a hurtle to get over before it can make it to every state.