jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (8 posts)

Are Figs suitable for vegetarians when you consider the crunchy seeds are insect

1. abdussalaam profile image81
    abdussalaamposted 2 years ago

Are Figs suitable for vegetarians when you consider the crunchy seeds are insect eggs?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/12639721_f260.jpg

2. Faceless39 profile image93
    Faceless39posted 2 years ago

The crunchy seeds are seeds, but it's true that fig wasps lay eggs in some figs: "Figs have an enzyme called ficin that breaks down the deceased wasps into protein, which become part of the ripened fruit. Nothing of the actual wasp body remains. The crunchy parts of the fig fruit are actually seeds and not leftover wasp pieces." http://knowledgenuts.com/2014/06/08/the … bout-figs/

If there are no animal remains left, I would still consider figs vegan-ish. Heck, all plastics are non-vegan and I don't see most vegans not using plastic. I would imagine the diehards don't eat figs or use plastic, however.. ?

abdussalaamposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the weblink.

3. lisavollrath profile image95
    lisavollrathposted 2 years ago

Yes, figs are vegan. There is nothing left of the wasps in the ripe fruit.

And yes, vegans use plastic. The amount of animal products used in the production of plastic is almost non-existent.

In that case, why not eat chicken eggs? Because there is nothing left of the chicken inside an egg.

2. lisavollrath profile image95
      lisavollrathposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Because chicken eggs are chicken embryos. They're animal products. We don't eat anything that is an animal, or comes from an animal. Also, with most egg farms, there's an animal cruelty issue.

3. abdussalaam profile image81

But, within the fig insect eggs remain and are they not considered animals like chickens?

4. lisavollrath profile image95
      lisavollrathposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Again: there is NOTHING left of the wasp in the ripe fruit. No wasp. No eggs. The enzymes in the fig break any wasps or eggs down, and they're absorbed as protein as the fruit ripens.

working